Reducing vibrations....

Put your recommendations for services in this area. No negative or defammatory comments allowed. Only club members can make recommendations
en7jos

Reducing vibrations....

Post by en7jos »

Two items courtesy of Steve at AMC Classics that have made a big difference to the vibrations on my '51 G3 and thus I would highly recommend are:-

- New petrol tank mounting rubbers: Steve had some new ones made up from a much softer (than the normal repro ones) rubber. The first lot of replacement rubbers I fitted were pretty rigid and didn't give much cushioning, but these new softer ones made a big difference to the vibrations transmitted to my tank as felt via my knees riding along. Must be better for the bike as well as rider.

-GT style handlebar grips: Some more modern looking handlebar grips that initially you think would look out of place on an old machine, but actually look fine once they're fitted and significantly reduce the vibration you feel through the handlebars when riding along. They've made riding any distance much more comfortable for me, both in terms of less vibration and also because the shape is more comfortable to hold so less cramp etc. They're made of a slightly softer rubber than the more original looking hard rubber repro ones, and have a bulge in the middle which fits better in the palm than the straight sided standard type. After initial reservations because of the looks, I now think they're great and thoroughy recommend them. I'll try and post a photo later as not sure my description of them makes sense....

Now just to sort out the wobbly front number plate which currently seems to hit resonant frequency on the highway.....

James :)
saltbox alf
Deceased

Re: Reducing vibrations....

Post by saltbox alf »

Quite right James, I have soft rubber tank mounts less buzz and use beston grips, very comfy with my arthuritus and carpel tunnel probs.
Now if I can fit a leather sofa :lol:
Allons-y, amis de Matchless et AJS