Tin Chaincase Seal

Put your recommendations for services in this area. No negative or defammatory comments allowed. Only club members can make recommendations
dogwheel

Tin Chaincase Seal

Post by dogwheel »

I've just fitted to my AJS 18, the (American) Alternative Tin Chaincase Seal. part No.018652AD, (£11.05) inc P&P and VAT, from our Club Spares. It works just fine, if anyone is tempted to try one, I venture to point out that it is neccesary to measure carefully, cut it to length and superglue the ends together---a 5 minute job---this makes fitting the seal a doddle.
I'm no expert but I did obtain one of these seals from the USA some years ago, that one also worked a treat on some otherwise difficult to seal cases on a 1950 G3L, (which I should never have been so daft as to part with).
Robin.
Don Madden

Re: Tin Chaincase Seal

Post by Don Madden »

It isn't necessary to glue the ends together. I just fit the outer on the stud loosely, leaving a gap between halves. Then I start at the top & work the rib between them all around until meeting at the top. I cut the loose end slightly longer than the joint & butt them together, which seals them, then tighten the center stud to clamp the halves. I have been doing it this way for about 30yrs. Cheers, Don. 8-)
iansoady

Post by iansoady »

I've just fitted the Buckingham one to mine. First time it wept a bit, second time I used a thin coat of silicone on the inner cover & fitted the outer dry. No sign of any leakage so far, and it fit first time (with no cutting necessary). Time will of course tell......

I then proceeded to drop one of the clutch adjustment screws in the gearbox outer (after having filled it with oil of course) so had to drain all that out, spilling most of it, to get the screw. It would probably have stayed where it was quite happily but I would always have worried about it.
Ian
1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650
dogwheel

Post by dogwheel »

OK Don, I bow to your wisdom and 30 yrs experience with these things. Do you pack out the spacer maybe with a couple of washers to leave a bit of room (like we are supposed to with the Buckingham seal) for the spongy rib, or just tighten down and crush it? Would you consider re-using one of "your" seals or fit a new one every time?
How nice it is to rebuild the primary with no oil leak, without having to resort to hot melted tallow, RTV, Silicone or other sealant, sticky tape, shamanism or any other form of witchcraft.
I hope I don't need to eat my words when I next take the old thing out for a serious gallop.
Regards,
Robin.
Don Madden

Post by Don Madden »

I should have mentioned that I pack the stud to allow about half of the thickness of the spongy rib. My old 1956 scrambler has had a rough life bashing rocks in the Mojave Desert, the natuaral habitat of these beasts & the case is badly distorted. I have been able to reuse the seal, even after it has been in place for some years. Cheers! 8-)