Soda blasting

Put your recommendations for services in this area. No negative or defammatory comments allowed. Only club members can make recommendations
en7jos

Soda blasting

Post by en7jos »

I had the barrel and head of my '49 G3L soda blasted last week to get the old flaking paint and carbon build-up removed. Found a place local to me in the Midlands that did a pretty good job:

Soda Blasting West Midlands
http://www.sodablastingltd.co.uk/
0800 7747632
Unit 10 Loxdale Industrial Estate, Northcott Road, Bilston, WV14 0TP
Dave@sodablastingltd.co.uk

Really impressed with the soda blasting process. For anyone not familiar with it, its like sand blasting but uses bicarb soda crystals instead. Rather than being abrasive, the paint etc is removed from the explosion of the soda crystals as they hit the surface. Its powerful enough to remove old paint, but can apparently be used on glass without leaving a mark. But the main benefit is that the soda is water soluble so just washing it in water removes any left over bits, so no risk of clogging ports etc as there would be with sand or grit. The soda dust also prevents flash rusting of the surface until you get chance to wash and paint it.

I'll post up a few before and after pictures when I get a moment...

James

Re: Soda blasting

Post by 242017 »

My Friends son had the frame of his racing car.....(tubular construction ) Soda blasted.......A really good finish afterwards.....BUT do remember to get the painters to thoroughly clean it afterwards as he had problems with the powder coating.....as it bubbled up the first time