Magneto

Put your recommendations for services in this area. No negative or defammatory comments allowed. Only club members can make recommendations
classic55

Magneto

Post by classic55 »

I had a N1 magneto which had no spark at low revs. I rang APL Magnetos ( Paul Lydford 01747852136 ) to inquire if he could repair it in time for collection at Banbury in 10 days time. He said it would depend on the post. I made a mistake in his address and it did'nt reach him until 3 days before Banbury. He rang me the following night to say it was ready. I thought that was excellent service and also very resonably priced.
clive

Re: Magneto

Post by clive »

I have a twin K2Fc mag, bike started but misfired once warm and at speed, gradually getting worse. Tried the Bright Spark conversion, 10 mins to unsolder the old condenser and fit the gismo in place of an insulating washer. What a difference, accelerates well at all speeds. Only £18 inc postage and even when you factor in having to buy a new soldering iron, as the old one had packed up, I reckon I am quids in over a professional mag rebuild. Instructions on the internet very clear.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Groily

Post by Groily »

It's heart-warming when it works like that Clive, and thanks for the kind remarks. If (as is often the case) there's nothing else amiss with the magneto, you should be fine . . . Fingers crossed for you!
Davidmil_LAPSED

Post by Davidmil_LAPSED »

Does anyone have any comments (which they dare to print) on Priory Magnetos? I am thinking of getting them to overhaul my mag but no-one round here has any experience of them. I like the look of their website, but of course that is not much to go on. At least it's bang up to date.
leswaller

Post by leswaller »

Dont know anything about them, but you won't beat Groilly's service. He received my mag, stripped it, diagnosed it and rebuilt it in 48 hours. Excellent service, and someone we all know. :beer: :beer:
Les
Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of the wise
saltbox alf
Deceased

Post by saltbox alf »

I am in total agreement about our 'Groilly' having had the privelage of seeing the workshop kit and been shown how it all works, plus a mag rebuild demonstration. I would say there is none better :beer:
Allons-y, amis de Matchless et AJS
Groily

Post by Groily »

Too kind Les, and Alan. I'm blushing. But a lot of the credit goes to my late mate 'KenF', known to quite a few on here although he wasn't a member (of this Club). 'Twas he who designed and built the instrumentation without which the diagnostics and dynamic testing of mags and dynamos are very hard to do. An exceptional engineer and sorely missed, on every level. Cheers, Bill
iansoady

Post by iansoady »

I can also recommend Tony Cooper (0121 559 2405) of Halesowen.
Ian
1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650