Thread Repairs!

Put your recommendations for services in this area. No negative or defammatory comments allowed. Only club members can make recommendations
smudge78

Thread Repairs!

Post by smudge78 »

Anyone who has a problem with threads, stripped or damaged and lives in or around Essex I can recommend this company who repaired the alloy inner thread on my G2`s oil filter, they made a new dye from the old bolt, cut a new thread and the replacement bolt fits perfectly, Clint who hails from South Africa is a qualified engineer who told me he has been doing "Threads" for 18 years so he knows what he's doing.Cost me £80
THREADWORX...Tel. Clint: 07713902011
Rob Harknett

Re: Thread Repairs!

Post by Rob Harknett »

Cleaning a thread using a bolt to make a tap is an old dodge. I suggested this recently and I don't think it was approved of. I've been doing it for years to clean or chase up a cross threaded thread. Using a bolt of the same thread, cut a couple of slots along the thread. Clean off swaff, file the first 2/3 threads down a bit so they are not so deep, to give you a start. You have a home made tap for cleaning damaged or rusty threads.
iansoady

Post by iansoady »

I thought what he meant was used the bolt as a pattern. Nothing wrong with cutting grooves or flats on a bolt for cleaning up threads though.
Ian
1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650
smudge78

Post by smudge78 »

I'm no engineer as is pretty obvious but I will "have a go" on most things, in this case it was a thread too far for me and at the time I had visions of me doing irreparable damage to the crankcase if I had started poking around!