A LED headlight that works

Put your recommendations for services in this area. No negative or defammatory comments allowed. Only club members can make recommendations
clive

Re: A LED headlight that works

Post by clive »

Since you are all claiming this is a recommendation I have moved the whole topic into the recommendations forum!
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
JimFitz

Post by JimFitz »

I have been watching the posts regarding LED headlamp globes for some time now as I would like to fit LEDs throughout on my G12 outfit. I decided to stay 6V negative earth when I rewired and used the appropriate DVR2 voltage control box.
I did not think for one moment that I would be able to get all the globes from one place but I was pleasantly surprised when I spoke to Peter at http://www.dynamoregulatorconversions.c ... ds-etc.php and he had the lot, including sidecar and speedo in stock. I was going to stick with a filament globe for the headlamp due to problems posted here with the LED type but having spoken to Peter he assured me that the BPF LED globes they now sell work fine so I ordered one.
Apparently the original ones had the high beam LED in the wrong place so were impossible to focus but the new batch they have had made have been corrected. I have a new Lucas pattern reflector and glass so that should be ok.
The globes should arrive tomorrow so I will report back.

Jim
Too old to Rock and Roll but too young to die.

1952 G80 rigid, 1960 G12 DL / Watsonian Monza, 1954 G80S.
JimFitz

Post by JimFitz »

The LEDs arrived yesterday and I fitted them all in five minutes flat. The sidecar (Wipac) and the rear lamp (Lucas) fitted with no issues.
The headlamp pilot is a larger diameter than the old filament globe so was a slight issue as it would not go through the hole in the headlamp rubber grommet on the new "Lucas" headlamp reflector. I removed the bulb holder and grommet from the glass and fitted the LED in the holder with the grommet in place, then fitted the whole assembly by carefully working the grommet into the hole in the reflector with a small screwdriver. This will not be an issue if you have the old style "claw" type holder.
The headlamp LED is a 6-24V BPF negative earth "double dipper" type where one LED lights on low beam and both LEDs light on high beam. It is normal filament size with no big heat sink and extra gubbins on the rear like some LEDs I have seen. First impressions are good but only by shining against the garage wall. When I have a chance I will wheel it outside in the dark and give it a try - maybe fit it in one of my G80s and try it out on the road.

Jim
Too old to Rock and Roll but too young to die.

1952 G80 rigid, 1960 G12 DL / Watsonian Monza, 1954 G80S.