Control Cables

Put your recommendations for services in this area. No negative or defammatory comments allowed. Only club members can make recommendations
Triumph-Legend

Control Cables

Post by Triumph-Legend »

For the best quality control cables try J & J Cables Ltd. Fine quality cables with very high quality adjusters. Having bought cables from this company I would not use any other make of cable, they really are so much better than the usual offering from other sources.
http://www.motorcyclewebsite.com/j-j-cables-ltd

J J Cables Ltd
Pinewood, Hillfields Farm
Warwick
Warwickshire
CV35 0BQ

Telphone: 01926 651470.

If you need the cables urgently and can't wait for them to be made up.
I'm understand that these cables are available ex-stock from Steve Surbey at AMC Classic Spares. Tel:- 01462 811770
JimFitz

Re: Control Cables

Post by JimFitz »

I agree - JJ produces excellent cables. With old bikes it may be that different levers and fittings have been used over the years and standard cables may not fit. The old cable can be sent to JJs and it will be exactly reproduced or made a little longer or shorter if you need. Also heavier gauge cables can be made.
I had a sidecar brake cable made recently for my Monza in a heavier gauge to avoid stretch as it is about 7 ft long - also a rubber sleeve over the whole length to protect the outer sheath. Top quality job and only about £35 delivered IIRC.
It can take a little longer for them to be made during the show season as they tend to make up batches of cables for their stall and fit the one-offs in when they can but worth waiting for.

Jim
Too old to Rock and Roll but too young to die.

1952 G80 rigid, 1960 G12 DL / Watsonian Monza, 1954 G80S.
leswaller

Post by leswaller »

If you are local and give him a ring he will usually give you a time to be there, take the old cable with you and he will do an exact replacement while you wait. Also gives you the option of conventional or Teflon coated
Les
Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of the wise
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Be careful, JJ Cables have not always been helpful. I ordered a batch of 20 speedo cables for 1935 / 37 era gearbox drive speedo. When it was discovered they were for AJS motor cycles, they refused to make them. I got several abusive e mails. I very quickly got the cables made by a company in New Zealand. I got them within 2 weeks of placing my made to measure etc. order. Even with postage, were cheaper than JJ. They even modified the special gearbox end fitting, making it removable / re useable. This left a very simple inner wire to replace if broken.
G15 Roy

Post by G15 Roy »

[quote="Triumph-Legend"]For the best quality control cables try J & J Cables Ltd. Fine quality cables with very high quality adjusters. Having bought cables from this company I would not use any other make of cable, they really are so much better than the usual offering from other sources.
http://www.motorcyclewebsite.com/j-j-cables-ltd

I would not agree 100 % with this it took them three attempts to supply me with the correct cable atfter supplying a sample. The best bit was I was charged £3.00 postage each time. There is some history with them supplying the club and after several approaches to them they still refuse to supply us.
Roy
leswaller

Post by leswaller »

Rob
I have never had a problem with him, I use him all the time as I am less than 10 miles away. Perhaps he thought you were triying to set up a trade stall as you had ordered 20 of the same cable, and as has previously been posted they won't supply the club, perhaps for the same reason. But as an end user who always goes there for a 'one off' I have no complaints.
Les
G15 Roy

Post by G15 Roy »

leswaller wrote:Rob
I have never had a problem with him, I use him all the time as I am less than 10 miles away. Perhaps he thought you were triying to set up a trade stall as you had ordered 20 of the same cable, and as has previously been posted they won't supply the club, perhaps for the same reason. But as an end user who always goes there for a 'one off' I have no complaints.
Les I hope that they did not supply you with that throttle cable you had to remove at the Jampot rally this year that was full of grit that helped caused the sticking slide?
Roy
leswaller

Post by leswaller »

No, that was the original one that was on the bike when you and Dudley "assembled" it
Les
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

I believe the company has changed hands . Many years ago I had no problems with them. On their stalls at Jumbles the person was helpful, but could be referred to as being a bit short. Like short abrupt answer. Many years ago, when club spares first started, they made cables for the club. At some point the club had some cables made elsewhere. Reasons I am not sure of, perhaps better price. JJ Cables then refused to supply the club with cables. Their attitude may had changed now. It was quite a few years after the bust up with the club, I asked for speedo cables to be made. For myself to sell on, not the club. That made no difference. All I got back from them was abuse. What ever I said like, not many of the cables are even for club members, made no difference. This was many years ago, circa late 1980's early 90's. Back in the days when you had to write letters to them. It took over a week to give details of what I wanted and get a quote. Something like £25 each for 20 off. Then nothing. I asked when they would be ready. It was then I started getting the gutter gob abuse, we are not making them for you. Giving all the reasons why not. It took less than 24 hrs. via e mail to the New Zealand company, to give details etc. and get a quote. In less than two weeks the cables arrived. Just over £21 each inc P&P. With the mod to the gearbox end made re useable. Leaving only a standard speedo wire squared each end to replace a broken cable.
So no complaints with their products, just their very, very unfriendly attitude to customers. Which I was one of, but they saw me as " the club " nothing I said would change their abusive attitude in reply.