Open Face Helmet

Put your recommendations for services in this area. No negative or defammatory comments allowed. Only club members can make recommendations
Mick D

Open Face Helmet

Post by Mick D »

Hi

I wish to buy a classic style open faced helmet and am inclining towards the Bell 500 Deluxe at around £150, are there any other ones that members would recommend I consider at around the same price?

Regards Mick
alanengineer

Re: Open Face Helmet

Post by alanengineer »

Try the helmet on. Its only you can see if its comfortable or not. Been there, got the headache. Then check it meets with your safety requirements, sticker on the side of the helmet, choose the colour and you are done.
Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

For what it's worth I bought the Caberg open faced helmet. I found it far the most comfortable. Although I wear all the time (when riding :twisted: ) I've never actually used it, which would be the acid test of course. It came with a very good visor though I wear Aviator goggs with it as they fit well over specs.
It's all down to personal preferences so as Alan says it's summink you have to try on. For full-face jobs I always felt that Shoeis fitted best for me.

Steve
MalcW

Post by MalcW »

I have an HJC FG70S, that suits me well. It has a built in retractable visor that fits neatly over my specs.

Malc
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Take care when trying on. If you intend wearing glasses riding. Make sure you wear them trying on. I got one helmet then found it had a tight spot that pressed one ear against the spec's ear arms. Soon starts giving a painful ear. Had to dump my old favourite. Took it off one day and the innards stayed on my head.
alanengineer

Post by alanengineer »

Im with Rob with his comment about trying helmets on and then trying to get a pair of glasses on after. Some helmets are a real pig. My AGV just allows getting glasses on, sometime not. New technique found by a comment on these forums some time ago.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Thanks All

Steve, Malc - the Caberg / HJC suggestions are very helpful and give me a much needed steer through the sea of options :D

Alan, Rob - good points, (particularly re the glasses), but living where I do it's not easy to trial fit helmets, (unless I get free postage and return, but even then it's going to take some time :( ). My local dealer, Shirlaws in Aberdeen does not stock Bell, Caberg or HJC - does anyone know anywhere in Scotland that has a good stock holding? I'm prepared to travel to Glasgow or Edinburgh if necessary - otherwise it looks like the couriers are going to be busy.

On an associated note, Sportbikeshop advise selecting a slightly smaller helmet size due to the liner 'settling', is this your experience or should I go for one to match my head measurement? My head measures 61cm which puts it right at the bottom of the XL size, should I initially go for an L size?

Regards Mick
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Some helmets come with loose inner ear bits of different sizes. This helps achieve a good comfortable fit . Pressure sore on your ears can be painful for ages, Its also surprising, if the helmets OK and you have just had haircut. It may feel tighter if you let your hair grow too long. I know, not a problem anymore for many. When at work we had ear defenders with oil filled ear pieces. They were good, until they get punctured and you feel oil trickle down your neck
Last edited by Rob Harknett on Sat Jun 02, 2018 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

I dont know if it helps, Mick, but I've got a 62cm coconut, though goodness knows what it's filled with. Its certainly no good at recalling where any 'safe place' is :? My Cabbage is sized as an XL and fits very snugly but not tight so might be a good size for you to start with. Ive not been aware of it feeling any looser over the years - praps my head is taking up the slack with advancing years :shock: . It does have a removable/washable lining and as far as specs go Ive found that its easier to put them on before the lid rather than poke around after its on. The finish is also a discreet matt/satin effect black which seems very resilient when it comes to any knocks or scuffs.
Although helmets are always going to be a personal choice I would definitely replace this with another.

Steve
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Greybeard wrote:I dont know if it helps, Mick, but I've got a 62cm coconut, though goodness knows what it's filled with. Its certainly no good at recalling where any 'safe place' is :? My Cabbage is sized as an XL and fits very snugly but not tight so might be a good size for you to start with. Ive not been aware of it feeling any looser over the years - praps my head is taking up the slack with advancing years :shock: . It does have a removable/washable lining and as far as specs go Ive found that its easier to put them on before the lid rather than poke around after its on. The finish is also a discreet matt/satin effect black which seems very resilient when it comes to any knocks or scuffs.
Although helmets are always going to be a personal choice I would definitely replace this with another.

Steve
In the first instant, I referred to putting specs on when trying on a helmet for size. In use its more difficult to put specs on and them feel right, after putting the helmet on.