Which Metal Polish?

Put your recommendations for services in this area. No negative or defammatory comments allowed. Only club members can make recommendations
Mick D

Which Metal Polish?

Post by Mick D »

Hi

My tube of Solvol Autosol is on it's last legs so I'm thinking about replacing it - I've always used it in tube form and have no particular issue with it's performance however I am considering giving one of the other products a try, maybe Peek or Autosol paste.

I'd be interested in the opinion of others as to what's their preferred choice of metal polish, (it needs to work on aluminium alloy, chrome and stainless steel ideally).

Regards Mick - not an oily rag man ;)
Rob Harknett

Re: Which Metal Polish?

Post by Rob Harknett »

Solvo Autosol has been about as long as I can remember, I've always had a tube and used it. Its a different era now, most bikes are no longer working bikes. By that I mean the are not used now, for what they were used for and intended for years ago. They were not cleaned every time they got just a little bit dirty. With all the polishing a bike may now get, the tube of Solvo Autosol may prove a bit too abrasive on plated parts. Probably still OK for stainless and alloy. Perhaps use something like that used in the home. You will know even that as worn off silver plating after much polishing. Years ago we had a product called Chrome coat. Perhaps that may still apply so you do not need to use metal polish on chrome plating. I seem to recall Chrome coat did yellow.
Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

Peek is less abrasive (and usually cheaper :) ) than solvol and is good on chrome and ali. For stainless exhausts I've been using 'Bar Keepers Friend' - often sold in fancy cooks shops for cleaning stainless pans etc.

Steve
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

I was put off Solvol as being too abrasive when I had all of my Yamaha chrome done, and there is a lot!!! It has also worn away the chrome on my front pipe and started to do so on my silencer on the AJS. I currently use metal products (premium chrome polish and hot environment chrome polish) from a company called " Brilliant Polishes" and it is the best stuff I have ever used and totally non abrasive. The only issue now is that it has been sold off and is now only in Australia so that could be expensive but here's hoping for a UK distributor soon. They also do an aluminium polish but you can't beat Solvol for ally in my opinion
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
McBob

Post by McBob »

Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

McBob wrote:Hi Paul, have you seen this? https://www.heritagesteamsupplies.co.uk ... 175ml.html
Thanks!!! no I hadn't, will check them out and see if they do their other products... cheers
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

Finally got around to doing some, non too scientific, testing, bought these products:
Polishes.png
Applied them to this timing cover, (sorry it's not an AMC one :oops: ), using a piece of clean kitchen paper towel for a period of one minute each:
Polish Before.png
Here's the results:
Polish Results.png
The best was Mother's fairly closely followed by original Solvol Autosol, Autosol Aluminium was some way behind this and Peek the worst.

I need to do more investigation to determine whether the poorer performing products are due to them being more or less abrasive but for now would recommend Mother's to anyone wishing to try something other than Autosol Original.

Regards Mick
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
clive

Post by clive »

Surely they would work differently on a proper timing cover ;)
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Oily rag negativity? - :D ;)