Modern traditional bike alternative

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
alanengineer

Re: Modern traditional bike alternative

Post by alanengineer »

Check with your insurance people first. I had problems with insuring a chinese bike. Its still not insured, so if you are interested, i will leave the back gate open.
matchbart

Post by matchbart »

if he isn`t too tall have a look at a suzuki gn250, easy to ride, electric start, vmcc eligible , 80mpg, great fun.. and cheap
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

This my one year old Chinese made 'Mutchless' (Herald 250 Classic) which has a copy of the Suzuki GN250 engine.
I did have some difficulty insuring it but Bennetts had it listed so went with them. European insurance and breakdown assistance and recovery was a real problem but I get it now for all my vehicles (2 cars, m/home, and 2 bikes) for £10 a month via my Nationwide FlexPlus a/c.
Have only ridden it about 2000 miles so far but it's going very well and I'll be riding it to the weekend 'Day Centre' rally in France on Thursday so I hope I'm not tempting fate!
As Paul (pkr87) said above, it's nothing like the fun of an old Brit single (excellent brakes, indicators, 5 gears, virtually no maintenance or oil leaks) but IMHO it's as close as you can get.

I've had it adapted with the front brake and clutch levers on the left for riding one-armed..........

'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
matchbart

Post by matchbart »

GN250 `s can be modified for gentle off roading as well, I have two, the other one has just been to holland to the Rockanje classic Racing

kernow kid

Post by kernow kid »

I happened to see an SWM up close the other week...it was the off road styled model, but I was impressed with the build quality, it looked pretty good. It turns out they are built in the Husqvarna factory that Cagiva used in Italy when they bought the name from Sweden. Backing is by a Chinese company, design by Italian engineer who was with Cagiva and Aprillia. Prices are keen too. Oh, and SWM stands for Speedy Working Motor....true!!
kk
Top tip - if it needs more than 2 bolts to hold it on, its probably important...
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

alanengineer wrote:Check with your insurance people first. I had problems with insuring a chinese bike. Its still not insured, so if you are interested, i will leave the back gate open.
Try insuring a model 8 then!!! , no-one has it on their books (not even Bennets or Bike sure) G5 no problem but model 8 near on impossible and no amount of explaining that it is identical to a G5 would do.... computer says no (Used Peter James in the end) Would not buy another Model 8 again on that basis (G5 yes model 8 no!)
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
JonHardcastle

Post by JonHardcastle »

Is the Honda Rebel available where you are? I had one for a while before getting my Triumph Scrambler. I love the Triumph and will never part with it, probably on the heavy side for an older rider. The Rebel is light, reliable, comfortable and cheap as chips to run.
moley

Post by moley »

hI aLL, I looked at a Suzuki ST400 " Tempter", grey import 400 single, low seat height, 50 lbs less than dads current bike,. they made them between 1997-2003 and they are a little hard to get hold off, went very well and with that front brake stopped blimin well as well, the chap is considering our offer at the moment !!! Thanks for your help
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.