vincentvv

Re: Partial retirement

Post by vincentvv »

;)
Not fired is always a misser!
alanjennings

Post by alanjennings »

" who wants to live for ever?" ( Freddie Mercury). My gran made 103!!
Alan [Morini] Jennings
Andy51

Post by Andy51 »

Hi Mike, I retired at 59 1/2 and wish I could have done it 30 years earlier! I tried daytime TV and realised the dripping sound I could hear was my brain melting and coming out of my ears, so within 5 minutes got off my backside and moved on. I took on an allotment, worked on a steam railway, did voluntary work with offenders, refurbished a house and took a campervan across Australia - in addition to my AMC bikes hobby, running and long distance walking. I became Tech Ed, although this doesn't involve too much work. Now I don't have a minute to myself. Can I suggest something like model engineering? You can get a second hand lathe at reasonable cost and also use it to make parts for your AMC machines as I do! Some Tech Colleges run evening courses, or go along to your local club - they are almost as helpful as AMOC members!

Enjoy you well-earned retirement,

Andy

PS I am 65, both parents are still around at 90+, a Great Aunt made it to 96 and a Great Great Grandmother made it to 92 living in the workhouse, which weren't exactly conducive to long life - so pick your new hobbies well, you may well enjoy them for many years to come!
mikeydpippin

Post by mikeydpippin »

Wow!!! Not a negative comment from anyone, after 40years carrying out a daily routine it's going to be the initial change that comes as a shock I guess.
Thanks for the comments now looking forward with eyes wide open.
Mike
Janet

Post by Janet »

vincentvv wrote:Since my age I still have to work for about 35 years, can't help you guys! The thing that frightens me is that by the time I retire, most of the guys on the forum will be .....
What should frighten you more is that some of us oldies will still be around when some of your generation won't be. They will be the young people who reminded the oldies that they're old. :evil:
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

No offence Mike, but to be blunt, if you have to ask what to do with your time you're not ready for retirement.

It reminded me of the couple I overheard talking to a farmer at a lambing open day:

"We really love the countryside, but there's not much to do when we get there".

;)
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
spookefoote1956

Post by spookefoote1956 »

Got to agree with Spriddler. I'm married so she's always got a list!
Hail Joe Lucas ............ Prince of Darkness!
All my bikes are original........ to me!
"Creativity is your intelligence having fun" Albert Einstein
leswaller

Post by leswaller »

I honestly don't know how I found time to go to work. I have been retired for 8 years and still haven't got to the bottom of the list of jobs I want to do
Les
Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of the wise
thornebt

Post by thornebt »

leswaller wrote:I honestly don't know how I found time to go to work. I have been retired for 8 years and still haven't got to the bottom of the list of jobs I want to do
I'm guessing that when you retire you slow down and have more tea breaks! Cheers. Bruce.
leswaller

Post by leswaller »

No, I used to take more tea breaks at work in order to get up from my boring desk job and have a walk round. Now, when I am working in the garage or in the garden i strictly limit myself to one tea break at about 10:30 am. and a lunch break from 1pm to 1.45 pm. Too much to do before I die :beer:
Les
Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of the wise