Lightweight owner saying Hi

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
LightweightRob

Lightweight owner saying Hi

Post by LightweightRob »

Hi all,

Just thought I'd introduce myself. Me and my dad have been members for a while now and have enjoyed the Jampot magazine as well as the spare scheme. However have only been aware of the forum recently so I thought I'd get online and join in.

We only have one AJS, which is a Model 8 'Lightweight', bought the bike in 2007 and since then it has been a problem. I'm hoping to get it on the road for next summer but have a list of tasks to achieve before then. It suffers from no oil getting to the rockers, even after a complete top end rebuild, the gearbox requires a rebuild as it doesn't feel great and the clutch is rather heavy.

All in all, it shouldn't be too difficult, its a great bike when its working of course.

Rob
cbranni

Re: Lightweight owner saying Hi

Post by cbranni »

Welcome Rob

Lightweights are great bikes if sorted out properly and there are plenty of threads on the forum dealing with every kind of problem you are likely to come across, and some very learned people too.

Colin
only dead fish go with the flow
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

LightweightRob wrote:Hi all,

Just thought I'd introduce myself. Me and my dad have been members for a while now and have enjoyed the Jampot magazine as well as the spare scheme. However have only been aware of the forum recently so I thought I'd get online and join in.
We only have one AJS, which is a Model 8 'Lightweight', bought the bike in 2007 and since then it has been a problem. I'm hoping to get it on the road for next summer but have a list of tasks to achieve before then. It suffers from no oil getting to the rockers, even after a complete top end rebuild, the gearbox requires a rebuild as it doesn't feel great and the clutch is rather heavy.
All in all, it shouldn't be too difficult, its a great bike when its working of course.
Rob
Hi Welcome to the forum... regarding oil to the rockers, firstly, do you see oil pumping out of the return hole in the oil tank when it is running? ok.. is the oil way clear, you should be able to push a thin bit or wire all the way down the head and barrel to the crankcase.. have you got the rocker gasket the correct way round so its not blocking the oil way to the rocker cover?, finally are the tiny holes in the head that feed the oil to the rocker arms clear, they are tiny and can block up. here's a video of mine

Whats wrong with the gearbox? AND...if you are used to a modern bike or Jap bike then this clutch will seem heavy. I couldn't ride mine for more that about 20 minutes when I first had it, nearly gave me RSI !!! got used to it now and don't even notice, just make sure the cable run is smooth, you could slacken the clutch springs off a tad if it really is too stiff but be careful not too much as you may get clutch slip
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
LightweightRob

Post by LightweightRob »

Ozmadman wrote:
LightweightRob wrote:Hi all,

Rob
Hi Welcome to the forum... regarding oil to the rockers, firstly, do you see oil pumping out of the return hole in the oil tank when it is running? ok.. is the oil way clear, you should be able to push a thin bit or wire all the way down the head and barrel to the crankcase.. have you got the rocker gasket the correct way round so its not blocking the oil way to the rocker cover?, finally are the tiny holes in the head that feed the oil to the rocker arms clear, they are tiny and can block up. here's a video of mine

Whats wrong with the gearbox? AND...if you are used to a modern bike or Jap bike then this clutch will seem heavy. I couldn't ride mine for more that about 20 minutes when I first had it, nearly gave me RSI !!! got used to it now and don't even notice, just make sure the cable run is smooth, you could slacken the clutch springs off a tad if it really is too stiff but be careful not too much as you may get clutch slip
I've been reading a few, the bikes already had a top end rebuild, all oil ways have been checked and are clear. I think its the pump, the pin which locates within the slot of the pump is fine. I think I read somewhere, replacing the seal can be a solution?

Thanks for responding!
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

LightweightRob wrote:
Ozmadman wrote:
LightweightRob wrote:
I've been reading a few, the bikes already had a top end rebuild, all oil ways have been checked and are clear. I think its the pump, the pin which locates within the slot of the pump is fine. I think I read somewhere, replacing the seal can be a solution?

Thanks for responding!
What seal? there is no seal on the pump just an o ring on that large pump retaining screw at the back of the engine (only visible with gearbox out) and a tiny o ring on the oil pump end plug (opposite end)
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
LightweightRob

Post by LightweightRob »

Ozmadman wrote:
Ozmadman wrote:
LightweightRob wrote:

Thanks for responding!
What seal? there is no seal on the pump just an o ring on that large pump retaining screw at the back of the engine (only visible with gearbox out) and a tiny o ring on the oil pump end plug (opposite end)[/quote]

That's what I meant. I checked all the oil ways were clear when the top end was off. I need to get the pump out really, inspect it and clean it out. I have suspicions there is a blockage. I'll blow some compressed air through once the pumps out to establish whether the oil way is clear at the base.