feeling like a novice! - grease gun won't load and work???

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
StephenG80

feeling like a novice! - grease gun won't load and work???

Post by StephenG80 »

Simple job turning into a doh moment! I have an old grease gun with a screw on front and sprung back which forces a plunger forward. Even though I have loaded the nozzle/cap and loaded the reservoir as best I can I only seem to pumping air -its simple thing but I just cannot get it to work doh doh doh :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: . Any tips?
Rob Harknett

Re: feeling like a novice! - grease gun won't load and work?

Post by Rob Harknett »

Did you remove the back to fill it? To fill... Your tin of grease should have a disc in it with a central hole about 20 mm dia. First depress the gun until the long nozzle goes in. Remove the back. Place the gun over the hole in the lid and press down. Grease is then forced into the gun, expelling air. As grease goes in, you will see the nozzle pop out. When all the way out, you know the gun is full of grease and air expelled. Sounds like you may not have a screw on back. So do the same forcing grease in via the hole in the grease tin disc. Benefits of the gun where you remove the back are, you cab see grease is going in as the nozzle pops out. Pehaps it will also expel air better. If you have no disc and have been trying to fill with grease on a stick or something. Find something the dia of the gun body to force grease in which will also expel air. Otherwise you will have to pump for ages to expel air with very little grease in the gun.
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

It needs to be bled, there should be a screw or allen bolt near the pump, undo this pump some air/grease out and screw back in, it can get a bit messy if you are too enthusiastic with the pumping.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Ashampoo_Snap_2018.05.27_16h50m38s_001_.png
The tool box type gun needs grease forced in, pushing down over the hole in the grease tin disc. The bottom will extend out as grease is forced in. Not looked at mine lately, but do not recall this having a bleed screw like some other types have..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
StephenG80

Post by StephenG80 »

the one I have looks like the LTK 20 one - I'll give that a go tomorrow - thanks Rob 8-)
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Sorry for thr confusion guys I was referring to one that has a pump lever.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

I prefer a lever type in the workshop. Far less effort to force grease through a nipple using a lever. I have had them brake. The oldest gun I have is a large brass one. That will last forever. I have never done more than about 1,500 miles on a holiday tour, that was long ago when my G3/ LS was almost new. I have never bothered carrying a grease gun in a toolbox then. Just carried basic tool kit, spare links, plug and puncture kit, bit of wire and string.
cfaber

Post by cfaber »

Duncan wrote:"it can get a bit messy if you are too enthusiastic with the pumping."
We're still talking about grease guns right? :rofl:
Fix it until it's broken!

Otherwise how will
anything get done?
pkr87

Post by pkr87 »

Once you have filled the gun with grease pump the handle with your finger over the nozzle to allow air out but not back in, so bleeding the gun. I usually hold the gun in a vice to do this.
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Dimwit here,this is a really interesting thread as I have some "old" guns inherited from Dad but also can't fill them or follow the descriptions given; I need pictures.

I currently use a modern grease gun but it's not easy with old nipples. We are still on the grease gun thread.

Johnny B