Petrol Additives

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
ian saunders

Petrol Additives

Post by ian saunders »

Just wondering what the general consensus is on corrosion inhibiting additives to petrol, supposed to prevent potential corrosion to petrol tanks caused by the possible aggressive nature of some constituents in modern petrol. Does any one have any recommendations and do people think they are actually necessary?
Mick D

Re: Petrol Additives

Post by Mick D »

Hi

'Snake Oil'

I've got better things to spend money on :lol:

Regards Mick
alanjennings

Post by alanjennings »

Use your bikes or drain the tanks, got 7 bikes on the road and have had no problems!
Alan [Morini] Jennings
Groily

Post by Groily »

When I lived in the US of A, a lot of folk used the fuel stabiliser products available at the time, and said it meant they could leave fuel in machines with only seasonal usage - eg snowblowers, snowmobiles, garden equipment and so on.
Depends on your view on the 'shelf life' of modern fuels. Some say 'weeks', I say 'many months and more' in my own world. I've never drained my sit-on mower, and it's always started OK after the winter lay-off.

Additives sold to combat 'unleaded' seem to me to be a waste of time as no valve seat anywhere here has 'recessed' in these past 20 years-odd of using the stuff.
But I suppose some very hi-compression engines might need octane booster, which is a slightly different thing. I know I used it many years ago when my daily transport was a 4-valve Krauser-headed R100RS Beemer with north of 10:1s in. Most impractical - but booster did make it pink less on pump petrol, so did what it said on that particular tin.
ian saunders

Post by ian saunders »

Thanks all for your replies. Sounds this may be a hyped solution to a problem that does not exist!