ebay AJS Show bike

Post by dave16mct »

Interesteresting item on ebay, : 202447525455
also link to utube clip:

Dave
Rob Harknett

Re: ebay AJS Show bike

Post by Rob Harknett »

I am sure this was featured last year in Jampot magazine. I recall the present owner buying it, complete with its rolling road. It will be interesting to see what it sells for. I am sure far too much for us to spend club money on. Even if considering it would be a draw to a club stand at a show. We would have to sell a lot of raffle tickets and sign up new members, taking years to justify the spend, when there are other things that we funds for. Perhaps better in a museum that charges an entry fee to cover cost of exhibits. They cannot loan free of charge. I was asked by a museum to loan my 1920 172 c.c. OHV Shaw engined Hayward. On condition I paid for it to be restored by Sammy Miller. So the only known survivor of that bikes marque still sits in my shed. Also the only way to discover its value would be auction.
thornebt

Post by thornebt »

They've listed the bike twice - finishing 14 minutes apart. One has a postage amount of £2.95 and the other is £3.45. Cheap postage but £150k for the bike! Cheers. Bruce.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AJS-Springtw ... Swn6RbqKXV

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AJS-Springtw ... Swn6RbqKXV
G15 Roy

Post by G15 Roy »

It is in the Bonhams at 8-12 thousand still a bit much as there is no factory record of the reported frame number.
Roy
alanengineer

Post by alanengineer »

Is this the one that we talked about on the forum a couple of years ago or is it another one. The one we talked about before didnt have a plinth and that didnt have a recognised frame number
G15 Roy

Post by G15 Roy »

Yes the same bike but now with some history added :o
Roy
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Don't know what the frame number may have been, perhaps not a usual number. Also, as this bike was for show and not sold, the frame number would not have been recorded in factory dispatch records..
G15 Roy

Post by G15 Roy »

Rob Harknett wrote:Don't know what the frame number may have been, perhaps not a usual number. Also, as this bike was for show and not sold, the frame number would not have been recorded in factory dispatch records..
There are many bikes recorded as show bikes but no this one.
Roy
bostonted

Post by bostonted »

Hi i sold the display bike last year, it did feature in jampot, the new owner has done a great job of the stand , it looks terrific, i did offer it to quite a few museums on loan, but they did not have the room, and the stand alone must have weighed a ton, it was sitting in my garage, doing nothing thats why i decided to sell. There was much discussion on this forum about it , it was not actually built in the factory, but by a engineering firm in croydon, it was displayed at the earls court show. It is also correct that the frame number could not be found on the factory records. it does not matter now, but for many years it was in the pembrokeshire motor museum, which is where it came from, until it closed a few years ago.
I did give the club the first chance to purchase but as stated they did not have the funds. so i will also be interested in how much it will make, but does the seller also have to pay quite abit to the auction house if it sells?
anyway it is a stunning bit of engineering and there can not be many left world wide.
cfaber

Post by cfaber »

bostonted wrote:Hi i sold the display bike last year, it did feature in jampot, the new owner has done a great job of the stand , it looks terrific, i did offer it to quite a few museums on loan, but they did not have the room, and the stand alone must have weighed a ton, it was sitting in my garage, doing nothing thats why i decided to sell. There was much discussion on this forum about it , it was not actually built in the factory, but by a engineering firm in croydon, it was displayed at the earls court show. It is also correct that the frame number could not be found on the factory records. it does not matter now, but for many years it was in the pembrokeshire motor museum, which is where it came from, until it closed a few years ago.
I did give the club the first chance to purchase but as stated they did not have the funds. so i will also be interested in how much it will make, but does the seller also have to pay quite abit to the auction house if it sells?
anyway it is a stunning bit of engineering and there can not be many left world wide.
Usually, the auction house fees are paid by the buyer not the seller.
Fix it until it's broken!

Otherwise how will
anything get done?