What did you do in the garage today?

General purpose topics/chat goes in here

Re: What did you do in the garage today?

Postby spookefoote1956 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:18 pm

Tomorrow I intend to perfect the look

Lord_Smedley.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
हरे कृष्ण हरे कृष्ण
Hail Joe Lucas ............ Prince of Darkness!
All my bikes are original........ to me!

Postby Plugsnpoints » Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:28 pm

spookefoote1956 wrote:Tomorrow I intend to perfect the look

Lord_Smedley.jpg

It brings a whole new meaning to moto crossing... :shock:

Postby Group Leader » Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:40 pm

Trimmed the tube to length, turned up the ring complete with a rebate for the glass (sorry, plastic) and after a fair bit of fettling to get a nice tight fit, alutited together.

The ring is effectively sweated on plus an added fillet on the rear of the ring. Kept the rebate clear because the alutite is quite a bit harder than the ali and if you get some where it's not needed it's quite tricky to remove it. So, the alutite motto is; "It's easier not to get it in the wrong place in the first place rather than get shot of it when its there" :rofl:

A bit of final fettling (the movement is sitting about 3mm high at the moment, a buff up and maybe a light coat of paint and then final assembly and back on the beast.

Ring and tube.jpg

Ring Mounted 1.jpg

Ring Mounted 2.jpg

Alan
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Group Leader on Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1953 AJS 16MS and a 1/3 scale Sopwith Triplane but that's another story ..... :lol:

Postby Cjay59 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:19 pm

Been fitting a new rear light today, an old Lucas ali light taken off a Bultaco, just grinding away metal to make slots to take the rear frame, work in progress. Also watched the new episode of Car SOS, featured a Lotus Elise, S7 E3, the frame is a bonded aluminium component, no welding, they spend a little bit of the program on explaining.

Postby Group Leader » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:52 pm

It's fettled now and the movement is sitting correctly. I think I may bond the "glass"to the rebate with a thin bead of clear silicone sealer and then stick the chrome bezel on with another thin bead.

Sort of Assembled.jpg

Done.jpg

That seemed to work!

Alan
1953 AJS 16MS and a 1/3 scale Sopwith Triplane but that's another story ..... :lol:

Postby Mick D » Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:10 am

Alan

:beer: :beer: :beer:

Regards Mick

Postby shifter » Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:28 pm

Not a lot done yesterday or today as the garage roof has taken a bit of a battering in the recent storms water ingress is evident. An insurance advisor came to inspect and said they would not pay out due to age of roof covering even though it had been quite well maintained. What a bummer ggggrrrrrrrrrrrr more cash layout
shifter
?

Postby Dave T » Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:25 pm

Received my new French registration for my G80 and just had my new number plate delivered today so it's off to the Batcave and:
R.I.P TWV580
VIVE FE-889-LB

I had a wee ride today and it runs well, even the brakes seem quite powerful (wouldn't like to use them in anger).

Cheers, Dave.

Postby trevair » Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:38 pm

The trouble im having with my clutch setting fire to my bloody matchless

Postby spookefoote1956 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:12 pm

Did well-ish today. Put oil in the gearbox and no leaks. I'll check that again tomorrow. Took the original adjuster off the clutch cable, soldered a new nipple on and fitted it. Fitted the Boyer unit. Slowly lowered the barrel onto the piston, following the Haynes book of lies then managed to rip the base gasket when I removed the rag from the crank cases. Not sure if I should get a new one as there was Hylopoo on it and the only pressure is that from the crankcases. If anyone thinks other wise let me know. The copper head gasket is 2mm to lower the compression. Mrs Spookefoote has only got little legs but beautifully formed.

I'll post the pics later as I keep getting "The uploaded file is empty" which it ain't.
हरे कृष्ण हरे कृष्ण
Hail Joe Lucas ............ Prince of Darkness!
All my bikes are original........ to me!

PreviousNext

Return to General Topics