Ammeter St. Vitus’ Dance

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Iron Head

Ammeter St. Vitus’ Dance

Post by Iron Head »

I hit the giddy heights of 65mph on the G80CS last night and the vibration caused an amazing ‘jig' of the ammeter needle pretty much fully left to right of the scale. Stability returned at about 55mph but is this normal and can the instrument handle it? Looking at ways to try to isolate the ammeter a bit, or even perhaps the whole top headlight bezel, from vibration.

Iron Head
Plugsnpoints
Deceased

Re: Ammeter St. Vitus’ Dance

Post by Plugsnpoints »

My Wassell 8amp ammeter is stable as you need. It says Made in England on the dial if that helps! I tried a "genuine" Lucas one and that was all over the shop like yours. Crap basically :)

Andy
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

On original ammeters there was an adjusting screw to tighten the pivot on the needle I believe, Try a search with "Biscuit" as the author I am sure that he once did surgery on an ammeter to stop it bouncing, may years ago now though.
Iron Head

Post by Iron Head »

Thanks for the tip Duncan I will investigate and see what can be done. Pleased to hear also that it is a problem encountered by others, that always goes a long way to understanding/living with old motorcycle foibles?!

Iron Head
pkr87

Post by pkr87 »

My 16M ammeter needle flicks from side to side above 40 mph. I put it down to my original type control box vibrating. Perhaps some softer rubber mountings are called for.
Dave T_LAPSED

Post by Dave T_LAPSED »

I remember, in my misspent, an article in a motorcycle journal (can't remember which, probably Mororcycle Mechanics) whereby instructions were given to seal the all plastic ammeter and fill it with clear, thin oil thus damping the movement. A rather elegant solution I thought!
Eamonn
Webmaster

Post by Eamonn »

Duncan wrote:Try a search with "Biscuit" as the author I am sure that he once did surgery on an ammeter to stop it bouncing, may years ago now though.
Here it is:
http://www.jampot.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2442
Corners like a Lego man
Iron Head

Post by Iron Head »

Thanks Eamonn interesting read and some good tips. The point about the battery being fully charged and the ammeter simply reading what the regulator is doing (opening/closing) could be right but is that the case for the newfangled DVR2 I fitted?

I also thought the drill/melt (?!) a small hole through the plastic and apply some grease to the pivot idea was very elegant. The cat has just come back from having his teeth cleaned (and some extracted) at the vet - nearly £500?! but there is a very nice mini-syringe for his opiates 🙀that would be perfect for the grease.......

Iron Head
clive

Post by clive »

take the cats opiates and you will stop worrying about the ammeter!
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Iron Head

Post by Iron Head »

Love it! 😹