Safety wire

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
oldsteve

Safety wire

Post by oldsteve »

Hello all, Just noticed on my 1954 16Ms the bolts holding the petrol tank on all have a small hole drilled through the head suggesting the use of safety wire, is this standard practice and if so how's it done?
Pharisee

Re: Safety wire

Post by Pharisee »

Not sure that there is just one way of doing it. The more fastidious amongst us will pretend it's an aero engine and loop them together. Me, I just wire them around the tank mount.
John
20210413_183413.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi John

The more fastidious amongst us would also point out that that's anti-locked :rofl: :rofl:

Regards Mick
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

oldsteve wrote:Hello all, Just noticed on my 1954 16Ms the bolts holding the petrol tank on all have a small hole drilled through the head suggesting the use of safety wire, is this standard practice and if so how's it done?
See pages 31 & 32 of the Workshop Manual in the link below, especially about not overtightening the bolts (which is why they need to be wired):

http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Workshop ... dition.pdf
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
ianw1

Post by ianw1 »

I agree with Pharisee, if you loop 2 bolts together & the loop snaps, you have the potensial of losing 2 bolts, looped around the frame you lose I bolt.
Group Leader

Post by Group Leader »

ianw1 wrote:if you loop 2 bolts together & the loop snaps
If you do it properly with proper locking wire it won't snap .... :)

Alan
1953 AJS 16MS, 1939 BSA 250 and a 1/3 scale Sopwith Triplane but that's another story ..... :lol:
oldsteve

Post by oldsteve »

Thanks folks for the feedback, as the wire is literally just to stop vibration unscrewing the bolt, for this particular application would good old fashioned fuse wire do the job, say 20A wire?
ianw1

Post by ianw1 »

No, ideally you need Stainless Steel wire, if you pm me with your address I'll send you some.
Group Leader

Post by Group Leader »

And a pair of proper locking wire pliers makes it so much easier and neater.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/b/lock-wire-pliers/bn_7024964344

Alan
1953 AJS 16MS, 1939 BSA 250 and a 1/3 scale Sopwith Triplane but that's another story ..... :lol:
Reynard24

Post by Reynard24 »

Stainless steel wire and lock-wiring pliers? That's all a bit of overkill for tank bolts n'est pas? I use the earth conductor from lighting circuit twin & earth cable and wrap it round the tank mounts as per Mr Pharisee. I've not lost a tank bolt in nearly 40 years so surely it must have some merit. It's also dirt cheap to replace when you want to remove the bolts too.