Comp reducer for starting AMC singles.

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
SPRIDDLER

Comp reducer for starting AMC singles.

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Idle musings indoors as the shed's too bloomin' cold......

A couple of section chums are finding it a struggle to start their 500 singles. Both have G80CS's but road 500's can also require the sort of knees that we used to have.
It reminded me of a visit to 'Shiny Dick', a section pal of mature years who has a Vincent Comet 500 single and a 1000cc Vincent and a c1000cc 1920's AJS twin. He has fitted a half-compression unit to these bikes. Some may not be familiar with the unit which is fitted in the cylinder head and depressed before starting to allow some compression to escape. When the engine fires it automatically closes, restoring full compression. They are available for Harleys.
Compression release no plug.JPG
There are also similar devices for Husqvarna chain saws for under £15.
Comp release Husqvarna.JPG
and at one time were available with an integral (short reach) spark plug which didn't require a second tapped hole in the head.
Compression release.JPG
I've seen 500's with two spark plugs fitted so I guess there's room on the head of 500's to drill and tap a second hole for this unit.
It would be interesting to experiment upon whether this device would make starting easier on an AMC 500.

I suppose folk could hold the standard zorst valve lifter open a tad for starting. Does anyone do that?

Continued on new post
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'