Best way to fit twin engine/gear bos in the frame

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
JEAN-NOEL

Best way to fit twin engine/gear bos in the frame

Post by JEAN-NOEL »

Hello,
Has anyone experienced the way to fit the whole assembly engine/gear box in the frame ? How were they fitted in the factory ? I have read somewhere that engine assembly was laying on the ground on its right side, and the frame pulled down around it horizontally... Advices welcome !
Cheers
56G80S

Re: Best way to fit twin engine/gear bos in the frame

Post by 56G80S »

Can't help but as there's no reply hope to boost you back to the top of the Active Topics.

Johnny B
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

I've never put a complete engine in. It's too heavy. I've always put engine plates, followed by gearbox, followed by bottom end, then build up top end. etc.
Cheers dave.
leswaller

Post by leswaller »

Putting the complete engine in is not too bad single handed if you have the bike up on a ramp/platform so that you don't have to bend down, I have done it a couple of times. I have never tried putting a complete engine /gearbox in together, shouldn't be a problem space wise but I think it would be too heavy to manoeuvre so as to get the fixing bolts in line
Les
Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of the wise
JEAN-NOEL

Post by JEAN-NOEL »

Thank you David and Johnny.
I have yet build the engine with heads and plates, as I have to check timing diagram (no number on the camshafts, so I don't know if they are standard or racing), and I have fitted the plates to tighten all nuts evenly around the crankcases. Engine and G.B. are at home, the frame is in my shed. No problem for the weight : I have a small hoist, and slings. I remenber that on G15, the head must be fitted on the engine before fitting it in the frame. So I will try this way...Feedback next spring, as I am working in Algeria until March 2017.
Cheers.
JEAN-NOEL

Post by JEAN-NOEL »

Sorry, Les ! Thank you for your help.
JEAN-NOEL

Post by JEAN-NOEL »

Hello,
Engine + GB back in the frame, together.
It was necessary to undo the frontplate. With the help of my son, this way was quite easy, using a sling, a bit of tube, standing one each side of the bike, driving engine +GB from nearside towards nearside.
I did not use my hoist, as the weight was quite light for to persons.
I hope to start it this week...
Cheers. J.N.