POPSIE WILL RISE!

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Tommy RE

Re: POPSIE WILL RISE!

Post by Tommy RE »

Just a general update for those interested. Got a call from Jake Robbins to tell me that the taper tube for my front forks was on its way from Reynolds Tubes atlas. so there should be some work being done on the forks any day now. Got a rebuilt military regulator from Cornucopia in Germany together with a correct dummy battery and a military headlight switch with 4 lighting positions and some other bits and bobs. It looks hopeful that I shall be making a start on the rebuild by the end of the summer.

I am so looking forward to turning the fuel taps on, giving the carb a tickle, little bit of retard, taking past TDC and applying the swinging kick. Just as a point of interest, the exhaust did not suffer anything other than a scrape that flattened out a smallish area of the down-pipe as she slid down the road. I am in two minds as to whether to replace it or just paint it up and retain the battle scar. your opinions would be welcome.

Going off to the IOM TT tomorrow on the Enfield for the first time ever at silly o'clock to catch the ferry from Heysham. I will be over there until the Wednesday following the last race so that I can have a look around the island and get home after the mad rush.

Tommy
ron

Post by ron »

Hi Tommy
Enjoy yourself on the Isle of Man
Samuel

Post by Samuel »

Any more news or photos regarding the rebuild?
Sam
Tommy RE

Post by Tommy RE »

Well at long last, I have got the forks frame and the straightened up tinware from the various repairers. The forks needed completely re tubing and the frame was 19 degrees out of true in the vertical plane. Jake Robbins did a wonderful job with these, but progress was a bit slow due to his very heavy workload. However, like all good things they were worth waiting for.

As stated previously. Jason at CW Classics disd wonders straightening up the original tinware and I am at the moment doing a 'dry' rebuild to make sure everything fits before repainting commences. currently the forks, engine, gearbox, inner primary chain case, and rear mudguard are all sitting in the frame, though I must admit that the mudguard had to be fettled to make it fit correctly as Jason did not have the benefit of having the frame to and when he took out the dents and re formed the curves to fit and fettle, the same with the mudguard stanchions and carrier.

next job on the list is to make sure the pannier frames are true and attach the to the carrier. last of all, I will then fit the front mudguard into the forks and make sure that everything lines up. I must admit having to continually offer up locate bolts to steady and than remove various components can get a bit trying :headbang: , but when they finally line up and drop together it is very satisfying. when all is finally done then it all has to come to pieces and go to Glenn David for painting. So far so good.

I have managed to save a good 87% of the original bike and parts of the paintwork that survived will be used by Glenn to colour match the paint for spraying. Both brake plates will be left in their original paint as a nod to the Popsies originality and I am assured by Glenn he will patinate the paint so it will look its age. Sadly, things like the saddle and the original pannier bags are lost. Things like the switchgear and canvas handlebar grips, I have been lucky enough to replace through the good offices of club members and eBay. I even managed to get a genuine working WO Lucas ammeter from Cornucopia in Germany.

I would also like to say a big thank you for the loan of a bike lift from that raconteur and all round good egg Steve Brown A.K.A. Bjork.

Thats it for now

Tommy RE
Last edited by Tommy RE on Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Peter Morris

Post by Peter Morris »

Good news Neil, post some pictures of the build?
leswaller

Post by leswaller »

Fantastic news Neil, just a pity it had to be done
Les
Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of the wise
Expat

Post by Expat »

Good news Neil, keep us updated. :D
Keep shiny side up.

These are my principles, if you don’t like them, I have others. (Groucho Marx)
Tommy RE

Post by Tommy RE »

IMG_0998.JPG
Pictures of the dry rebuild as requested I know she doesn't look very pretty at the moment, but she looks better than she did

Tommy RE
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Janet

Post by Janet »

I think you need a bigger shed.
alanjennings

Post by alanjennings »

Don't t we all, Janet!?
Alan [Morini] Jennings