POPSIE WILL RISE!

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Tommy RE

POPSIE WILL RISE!

Post by Tommy RE »

After sitting in my garage like the proverbial Elephant in the room, with more than a little help and encouragement from Bjork last week (many thanks for coming over Steve), Popsie has been stripped down to her component parts ready for some much needed TLC. The forks and frame have been sent to Jake Robins in St Leonards on Sea (formerly ELK Engineering) for straightening/re tubing. It seems that they are now one of the only places that you can have girder forks re tubed. The tank and tinware (all of it apart from the primary chaincase) is being sent to CW Classic in Rayleigh for some much needed re shaping and torn metal repairs.

The mag and dynamo have gone to Tony Cooper (just up the road from me) and I am starting on the gear box and engine in the near future. There are many parts that got burned to a cinder that are going to be an absolute bugger to find, but hopefully, I will be able to get them with a lot of perseverance. My aim is to try to get her back to as near as she was before the fire.

If any of you out there have, or know the whereabouts of a sprung Lycett saddle with original Rexene cover, please let me know. Likewise a throttle twist grip with friction screw (un chromed) for 1 inch handlebars.

I shall post photos of m progress as I go along.

Tommy RE
Expat

Re: POPSIE WILL RISE!

Post by Expat »

Good to hear you got motivated....doesn't matter how. There will be lots of help and encouragement forthcoming I'm sure. Look forward to seeing progress move along.

Steve
Keep shiny side up.

These are my principles, if you don’t like them, I have others. (Groucho Marx)
Peter Morris

Post by Peter Morris »

Good luck Neil, hope you don't struggle to much finding the parts.
alanjennings

Post by alanjennings »

Cheers Neil, a daunting task ahead of you but with help from mates all will be well! I will come over when not on holiday!!
Alan [Morini] Jennings
GOLDSTAR

Post by GOLDSTAR »

Neil, are you aware of the BSAwdm20 website together with a similar one for the G3L wd bikes? the BSA site actually involves most WD machines, is run from Holland so will give you a wider catchment area for your wants. Kind regards
p.s there is mention of a 1" twistgrip on the forum now [bsa]
Tommy RE

Post by Tommy RE »

CIMG3996.JPG
CIMG3996.JPG
News of Popsie's rebirth.
The story so far:
After finding a lot wrong in the engine department, I have the engine and gearbox back from Ken de Groome after an extensive rebuild. at my request, Ken cleaned up the fire damage and left the engine and gearbox with the age related patina. No just left the mould looks for the alloy cases as in my eyes it just would not look right. I have got the petrol and oil tanks together with all the damaged tin ware back from CW Classic and can confirm that Jason did a fabulous job considering the damage from the impact and the fire. He has resurrected what can only be described as lace curtains in the rear mudguard after being chemically stripped and has removed whacking great dents from the front one and the tanks.

All of the tin ware and tanks have now been delivered to Jake Robins for marrying up with the forks and frame, the forks being re tubed as I write (the taper tube for the forks only just arriving from Renolds). The above will be dry assembled for fit prior to being painted. The paint work will be suitably 'aged' to reflect Popsies age/condition prior to the fire.

I have the mag and dynamo back from Tony Cooper who as always has done an excellent job at a very reasonable price. Colin Farrington has supplied me with a new wiring harness and I have managed to locate an original 1" un chromed throttle twist grip after much searching. I have purchased a replica set of saddle bags from an English source who himself has WD bikes.

I am currently waiting for a refurbished age related carburettor from Martin Bratby in Cannock and will be taking the wheels to my favourite wheel builder to get the rims trued and the wheels rebuilt next week. There are of course plenty more bits to locate, but the job does not feel so insurmountable as it did in the dark days following the fire.

The main plus point is that the insurance pay out has so far covered the cost of everything. I shall keep you posted and supply photos of the rebuild as it progresses when I get the frame etc home.

Regards to all,

Tommy RE
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Tommy RE on Sun May 14, 2017 6:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.
pkr87

Post by pkr87 »

Lovely news Tommy, it's so good to know that there are still people around to do such work for an old 'war horse'. I have just been on a VMCC ride and one of the 30 odd bikes there was an ex WD Matchless which was the centre of attention.Paul
Expat

Post by Expat »

Great news Neil and good to see that the other casualty is on the mend now too. :)

Look forward to following progress.

Best Regards,

Steve
Keep shiny side up.

These are my principles, if you don’t like them, I have others. (Groucho Marx)
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Just a word of encouragement, great that others are able to assist.

Johnny B
Tommy RE

Post by Tommy RE »

Just picked up the refurbished Amal 276B/IJ carburettor from Martin Bratby in Cannock completely re sleeved new brass slide and all renewed innards for £150.00. More importantly, the exterior of the carb not been vapour blasted at my request so looks in-keeping with the engine. Wheels back from the wheel builder front was quite badly buckled, but recoverable back was not so bad, both tubed up and ready for re paint. Another step towards rebuild ;)