Advice on where to get magneto reconditioned

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
bostonted

Advice on where to get magneto reconditioned

Post by bostonted »

Hi am sure this topic has been covered in the past, has anyone had a magneto reconditioned recently , i have been quoted £350-£400, and £400-£500 plus Vat, and with a 6 months return time. I was very happy with a certain gentleman who i will not name , but have recently been told that he does not actually do them himself anymore , but has people doing it for him , although he owns the company, its the personnel service which i thought i was paying for, just because you pay more than someone else, does this mean you are getting a better standard of work?, now am not sure who to go to, any advice would be most welcome, thanks.
Rob Harknett

Re: Advice on where to get magneto reconditioned

Post by Rob Harknett »

Part exchange through the club ???
raffles

Post by raffles »

the club can supply an exchange mag with a warranty they have been rebuilt by one of highest regarded reconditioners
contact Gary or Andy at the club spares
Flash

Post by Flash »

Shaun.
Tony Cooper, at Hales Owen is the best bloke for the job, the last K2F mag I had reconditioned cost £173-90, that was in September 2015 and he does a fantastic job comes back like new, He's telephone number is 01215592405, address 110, Olive Lane Halesowen. West Midlands B62 8LT
I think when I had this work done the turn around was about a three weeks in total.

Hope this helps.

John :beer:
bostonted

Post by bostonted »

Many thanks, i did not know the club offered this service, the only problem with part ex, is you do not get the original one back?, as its exchanged i presume,
Stuoyb

Post by Stuoyb »

Club Spares hold reconditioned magnetos in stock so you can send your old one in and get a replacement by return.

Post by 1608 »

Are you sure that your mag is the original anyway!
I have had 5 mags and three dynamos recon'd over the years by T E Salmon, Essex and all have behaved faultlessly, reasonable turn round and look like new. The last one ( which was the original ) came back with a new Lucas plate riveted on with the original ser. No. and the correct date of 1958. fully recon'd about £150.
uktom77

Post by uktom77 »

www.brightsparkmagnetos.com great website and service (Groily who is a member on this forum) if you want your original reconditioned. I'll be honest the cost of fixing mine was about the same as a recon from the club - swings and roundabouts depending on what yours needs. Super quick, I had mine back in a little over a week including postage. Full report provided, years warranty and even the knackered parts returned.
JEAN-NOEL

Post by JEAN-NOEL »

I agree with Uktom77. John Brown of brightspark magneto did an excellent job.
Triumph-Legend

Post by Triumph-Legend »

Flash wrote:Shaun.
Tony Cooper, at Hales Owen is the best bloke for the job, the last K2F mag I had reconditioned cost £173-90, that was in September 2015 and he does a fantastic job comes back like new, He's telephone number is 01215592405, address 110, Olive Lane Halesowen. West Midlands B62 8LT
I think when I had this work done the turn around was about a three weeks in total.

Hope this helps.

John :beer:

+1 for Tony Cooper, reconditioned 3 mags for me so far, one was a real mess with the end section very badly corroded. Tony replaced the corroded part with a good second hand part from his stock at very little cost, a few pounds. He always does first class work at a good price and is a very nice guy to deal with. Highly recommended.