overseas insurance

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
GOLDSTAR

overseas insurance

Post by GOLDSTAR »

next weekend a group of us are going to Malta meet some maltese chums we originally met at the Irish International, they are holding their annual bike rally and will loan each of us 4 riders a machine, I do not see any problem with insurance having read the certificate from Peter James which permits use of anothers machine, probably only 3rd party risk, and actually states on the certificate 'the insurance evidenced by this certificate etc extends to include the compulsory motor insurance requirements of the [following countries] which includes MALTA, my interpretation of this certificate means there to be no diference between U.K. and Malta for the purposes of insurance cover as stated on this certificate, there is no caveat or specific exeption for using another vehicle other than in the U.K, there is a cavet relating to the neccesity of green card for Bulgaria and Romania so the certificate is pretty specific in parts, my friend has contacted Peter James and they take the view that this cover does not extend outside the U.K irrespective of what their certificate states,? has anyone come across this before and if so what action did you take? my concern of course is the piossibility of double indemnity
Janet

Re: overseas insurance

Post by Janet »

My insurance doesn't cover me to ride another person's bike outside the UK. I think the wording is in the policy booklet, not on the certificate. Of course, that doesn't mean yours is the same as mine, although I'd be curious to know why you can have cover and I can't.

When I wanted to ride Glyn's bike to Poland some years ago, we had to pay £50 o be added to his insurance. This is complicated because of it being multi-bike and they risk a payout twice at the same time if we were both riding on his policy and crashed. Even more complicated is that on some policies, spouses aren't permitted to ride each others bikes on their own insurance, even 3rd party only, whereas anyone else could. I keep meaning to check this with the insurance company because, although I've heard of it from several people, one working for an ins. company it doesn't mention it in my policy booklet.
GOLDSTAR

Post by GOLDSTAR »

thanks Janet, I have been able to raise a copy of the policy on the net, it states in relation to riding other motorcycles you are not insured against the following 1-
2 you are not insured against any event which happens outside the U.K.!
how ambiguous can that be, it brings in so many questions, firstly I do not wish to be insured against but insured for, what is an event defined as? in addition the legal document is the certificate of insurance which does not hold this cavet so the illogical conclusion is, should I be asked to produce my cert of ins abroad it will state I am covered to use the vehicle I am at the time using however should 'an event' happen I will not be insured 'tis how I interpret this section at this time.
Bear in mind of course that the policy document has no bearing on the legality of the Cof I and of course no inspecting official would have access to it, really a can of worms the solicitors would have a field day with in a court, other views welcome.
kind regards
clive

Post by clive »

I borrowed a bike to attend the Australian Rally last year, insurance cover was not via my insurance but because the vehicle was insured and this extended to any driver, same when I borrow a car there. Diffferent approach to policies in Australia. Might be worth checking what the policy on the bikes you are borrowing covers. I interpret the wording you have found to mean they don't cover you on someone elses bike outside the UK. I would certainly not rely on the fact that this is not shown on the cert of insurance as that is the whole point for them of producing the Policy Document, to enable them to wriggle out if they can! I reckon if you go, using your certificate, you will not be insured if there is an accident and the whole point of insurance is to cover you if there is an accident. Yours sounds very like the sort of argument someone who is not insured might have raised with a Police Officer when pulled up for no insurance............don't reckon they would get away with it . " Oh I have insurance Officer, it just does not cover me if there is an accident! " :rofl:
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

I am sure at one time our UK insurance had to also give the min. cover required in other Euro countries. So you would have had to discover just what you were insured for and where. So the best approach has been and still would be, inform your insurance company of your travel arrangements and ask for the cover you have. Then discuss cover you really need and want. Health & holiday insurance cover should also be checked. You may not be covered in certain Euro countries. I recently went on a mystery cruise, but to get insurance I had to name the country /countries I would be visiting. Even the cruise line insurance asked the question I could not answer. I just said insure me for where the ship will go. Their answer was, we don't know. So I had to insure for every country I thought the ship may reach, during the time we were at sea. Even though it may had been to a UK port we were to visit. We actually ended up in Holland, so I ended up pay 75% more for insurance than I needed.
GOLDSTAR

Post by GOLDSTAR »

Clive, your last line is exactly how I interpret it, so much more simple to state the fact that use of a non personally owned vehicle other than in the U.K under this insurance is not permitted, how difficult is this? :headbang: , unless this is not what is meant. kind regards
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Richard

If in doubt ask your insurer any thing else is a gamble, as a general rule you will find insurance cover for vehicles not on the policy is only valid for your home country.
thornebt

Post by thornebt »

Duncan wrote:Richard

If in doubt ask your insurer any thing else is a gamble, as a general rule you will find insurance cover for vehicles not on the policy is only valid for your home country.
Personally I would also make sure I had the confirmation in writing whether that be in email form or whatever. Cheers. Bruce.
GOLDSTAR

Post by GOLDSTAR »

I have spent a few hours trying to reconcile all the prose on the cert of ins and the policy document, the policy doc states no cover for any event? which occurs outside the U.K the cert of in states the cover extends to the channel islands which are of course also outside the U.K but are specifically included, how much easier would it be to include in this line , no cover other than these specific locations :headbang: ,
Attempting to actually run this to earth I though to speak with KGM insurance the underwriters as mentioned on the CofI, reading reviews about this company I am concerned about this actual underwriter & insurance cover from Peter James.
More update, I have spoken personaaly with Peter James this morning, I mentioned my concern with the wording on both the cert and policy, and the reviews for KGM, both were discussed at length , he stated all polcies were being revised as the wording is in many cases no longer fit for purpose, he also assuaged any of my concerns for KGM underwriters. So although I still havn't, as yet, insurance cover for Malta :rofl: , my concerns are somewhat relieved :beer: , kind regards
39speedtwin

Post by 39speedtwin »

in Italy where my daughter lives, the vehicle is insured, so any licensed driver is insured. This also covers me when I visit. Perhaps check what the Maltese regulations are, as they may insure the vehicle and not the driver/rider.