Conflicting advice - number plate letter size

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
clanger9

Conflicting advice - number plate letter size

Post by clanger9 »

The various number plate suppliers out there (Framptons, Jepson, Chestnut Registrations etc) seem sure that 1 3/4'' digits are legal in the UK. For example, Chestnut say on their website "WE ONLY MANUFACTURE LEGAL PLATES" and I had some correspondence with Framptons where they confirmed that such plates are fine in the UK.

Does anyone know where they get this information from?

The reason I ask is that at my MOT test last week, the tester said he "wasn't sure" if my plate (with 1 3/4'' digits...) was legal and to to be careful because the local plod had been handing out on-the-spot fines to bikes with suspect plates.

The only official information I've been able to turn up is on the DVLA website, and it makes no mention of 1 3/4'' digits being permissible.
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... plates.pdf

It says pretty clearly that all digits must be 64mm (i.e. 2.5")
If that's correct, I guess I'm going to have to spring for a new number plate, 'cos I really can't be bothered with being stopped and fined. :?

Anyone know what the truth is?
1989 Moto Morini Dart 350
1993 Ducati 750SS
cbranni

Re: Conflicting advice - number plate letter size

Post by cbranni »

1 3/4" front
2 1/2" rear

That's what I use

Colin
only dead fish go with the flow
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

On the DVLA site for motor cycles it states 64 x 44 m.m. that is about 2 1/2" x ! 3/4" also states other info like plate & letter colour. But you have an old bike for which exceptions are made.
Janet

Post by Janet »

My 1964 G2 has 2½" x 1¾" and so has Glyn's 1951 AJS, both, as far as we know being original. Tippers Classic and Vintage Plates website refer to 2½" height as Standard and, the 1¼" as Trials.
clanger9

Post by clanger9 »

Rob Harknett wrote:But you have an old bike for which exceptions are made.
Yes, that's what I thought when I bought the small plate. Presumably that's what Framptons think as well.
But I can't find any reference to these exceptions - and the local plod aren't likely to know anything other than what they've been taught... :roll:
1993 Ducati 750SS
uktom77

Post by uktom77 »

I currently have the smaller sized font on two bikes and haven't been pulled over in five years of running with them.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Car numbers are larger than bike numbers. From the very early days to the present day size and spacing has remained the same. See picture from 1929 AJS manual. Exceptions are only, up to a certain date you can still use Black with white numbers. Spacing is just as important as are letter sizes. That is to stop people making, e. g. 13, to look like a B, this is what police will certainly pull you up for. In the very early days, the actual number plates varied in size to accommodate e. g. A 1000 , AA 100, AAA 100 so letters and spacing could fit correct.
Ashampoo_Snap_2017.03.23_23h27m55s_002_.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
clanger9

Post by clanger9 »

Interesting, Rob. Thanks. That extract certainly shows 1 3/4" was originally the right size, but I still can't find anything in current legislation that I can point a traffic cop to.
You're right that bike numbers are allowed to be smaller than car numbers: according to the DVLA, it's 64mm (2.5") for bikes and 79mm for cars (pre '73) or 89mm after that.

It's remotely possible there's a mistake in the DVLA advice: while they acknowledge that pre '73 black & white plates for cars can have smaller digits, there's no mention of 1 3/4" for older bikes. :?
1993 Ducati 750SS
Janet

Post by Janet »

If you bike still had its original registration plate and that had the smaller characters, it would still be legal so all you've done is change like-for-like.

It would have been useful if Rob had given you the reference of where he got his information from instead of keeping that knowledge to himself and just showing you a snapshot of part of a page. then you could print of the picture and write the document's reference on it. At least if you got nicked you would have the evidence for your defence. As it is, you'd be relying on 'some bloke on the internet said...'
Stuoyb

Post by Stuoyb »

Number plate regulations are not restrospective.
Whilst the current regulations state a certain size/font, that applies only to new registrations since the date of the regulation change.
I believe that current regs relate to post 2001 plate changes, prior to that it was 1972/3 when reflective plates were mandated.
Therefore if you replace the plates on your e.g. 1956 machine then providing they comply to regs in force at that time you are ok.
The info stated by Colin was in force from post-WW up until the abolisment of the front plate in the early 70's therefore, 1 3/4" front and 2 1/2" rear are ok.