Conflicting advice - number plate letter size

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Rob Harknett

Re: Conflicting advice - number plate letter size

Post by Rob Harknett »

Janet wrote:If you bike still had its original registration plate and that had the smaller characters, it would still be legal so all you've done is change like-for-like.

It would have been useful if Rob had given you the reference of where he got his information from instead of keeping that knowledge to himself and just showing you a snapshot of part of a page. then you could print of the picture and write the document's reference on it. At least if you got nicked you would have the evidence for your defence. As it is, you'd be relying on 'some bloke on the internet said...'
See picture from 1929 AJS manual. Is what I stated Janet. I was from the Pitmans Book of the AJS by Haycraft. This was the 2nd edition. The 1st edition was 1927. In 1928 a 1928 update was added. Often the updates were loose, not bound. The 1929 edition, had updates up to 1932. The first Pitmans Matchless book was not published until 1931. Neil workshop manuals came later. Prior to those dates there were no workshop manuals, I am aware of. AJS published " How to manage them " books. 1914 to 1928 for each year / model. In 1929 AJS published all models
" Instruction books " Matchless published " Instruction books " for each model ach year. In the latter pre war era Matchless published All OHV models & All SV models Instruction books.

Over some 30 years Janet I have searched for and purchased all pre war AJS & Matchless plus related literature, known to exist. A lot of leg work and a small fortune spent. During the last 15 years I have spent 100's of hours scanning and archiving my entire library into a website. Also gave freely, paper copies to the club. I also assisted Don ( Bruce Main-Smith ) and VMCC fill some gaps.
My knowledge is within my library which I have shared with the whole world. Many people have assisted me in achieving this. One person in particular entrusted me with his huge and valuable collection of Amal literature. To enable me to return this quickly as possible, took me over 2 weeks, working up to 12 hours a day.
GOLDSTAR

Post by GOLDSTAR »

Road Vehicles [display of registration mark] regs 2001 sect 14[3]
in the case of a motorcycle registered prior to Jan 2001 the letter/number may be 64mm in height. whatever that is in real money? kind regards
Harry44

Post by Harry44 »

2.51968504 metric inches
si is does non opportunus vos postulo a maior pango
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi Rob

Pardon my lack of knowledge, would you give details of your website, previously referenced?

Regards Mick
GOLDSTAR

Post by GOLDSTAR »

google the regs, should come up, kind regards
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Website for reg. no. info was via a Link for DVLA a member gave earlier in this otpic.. Website for literature is not my website. It is www.archives.jampot.dk usually referred to as the archives. Current owner Christian Gydde.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi Rob

Thanks for the clarification - use the archives all the time, huge vote of thanks to all who helped make this available :beer:

Regards Mick