Front forks straight now

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
56G80S

Front forks straight now

Post by 56G80S »

Well, after the "offs" last year I got the front forks straight. I did resort to a long breaker bar with steel pegs in the holes on the top cap bolts even though I had loosened everything else off.

But the streangest thing happened.

After reading recently about others problems releasing the fork tubes after undoing the pinch bolts, I did the latter up, went to fish out the damper rods and the tubes had dropped.

I am using newly made extended bolts (for mounting Avon handlebar fairing) which were turn up for me by a very competent engineer. the threads are really good but even so I was astounded how hard I had to do them up using a ratchet wrench and socket. I expected to get a "ping" at any moment. The right hand tube only stayed in place on the third attempt.

Anyway, another job done before Poland trip.

Indicators working better now I've amended the wiring only need to try out the Wolf gas soldering iron as I'm going to use bullet connectors rather than the current temporary chocolate blocks; I somehow don't get on with the crimped connectors. I smear a little vaseline on the bullets and they are usually OK.

Towbar back on the Matchless but the trailer down at the front and up at the back so need to get that adjusted and lengthen the drawbar a bit, what's on is too short and that's what took me down the road on the way to Njimegen last year. The giveaway is the gas damper that the PO had fitted. OOOPPSSS.

Johnny B
Dave T_LAPSED

Re: Front forks straight now

Post by Dave T_LAPSED »

Hi, your pinch bolts seem to be tightening in their travel before they pinch the fork tubes, try a thin washer under the heads and see if they nip up! Perhaps they were made to too fine tolerances! DT
clive

Post by clive »

I would agree with Dave T likely cause binding at the bottom of the blind hole before the pinch effect is at its fullest. Alternatively has the fork crown become distorted during your "offs".? If it was the former then the suggested washer or two will sort it. If the latter I would be inclined to change it.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Thanks, it wasn't really a plea for help more a "how odd".

Someone (memory fails me) had kindly posted that the length under the normal cap bolts (I can't find my originals) was 1 3/8". So that's what they were made up to but they were dead on. The version of these extended bolts that a Club member had made up for me were nowhere near that length under the head and additionally had a small "step" instead of being purely flat under the head. I'm surprised they didn't pull out.

Anyway I did cut the length down by 1/8" and when I really wound these tight got the pinch and been out for a couple of runs in the lovely sunshine up here in North Yorks and handling fine, forks look straight so will leave well alone. The run from Great Ayton to Helmsley is lovely and gives plenty of opportunity to test handling.

I actually plan quite a strip down for next winter but for now it's staying scruffy, bodged and working hopefully for a good summer.

Thanks for the interest.

Johnny B
Dave T_LAPSED

Post by Dave T_LAPSED »

Dear me, used to be one of my and my friends favourite Sunday rides over Chop Gate to Helmsley. I had a 350 Ducati, not fast but great round the bendy bits! I'll have to go back and give it a go again, it'll be a bit of a ride out.
Glad about the forks!
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

The road surface isn't what it used to be but with the lovely bends and one of the best views ( particularly on the wat back North to great Ayton (via Great Broughton) I've yet to see anywhere it's cerainly a lovely ride.. Back end of last summer I got so carried away I went est out of Helmsley, over to Scrborough and then back over the top to Guisborough and then home.

It's great.

If you're back PM me, although you may not want to be out with a scruffy machine like mine.

Johnny B