Starting big singles.. video clip

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
ma120990

Starting big singles.. video clip

Post by ma120990 »

OK after visiting mum for the appropriate Mothers day event, I did a spot of videoing of me trying to start the AJAY. This is aimed more at newbies to big singles who might not have any prior knowledge of where to start.

The old sage's who have been owning and riding their bikes for donkeys years will have starting pretty much off to a fine art, but for the likes of us not of that era, figuring out what all those levers do and where they need to be set for starting can be like dabbling with the dark arts.

Do however correct me where I am wrong as this video and the settings are only based on where I got everything to work for me. :)

https://youtu.be/ejdIFIptvCs
Rob Harknett

Re: Starting big singles.. video clip

Post by Rob Harknett »

Well the old bike started OK.
The only observations I can make is, it did sound a bit choked & retarded. I do not usually use much choke at all.. But as you said, the old bikes like what they like, so choke and A/R set to their likes. The kick starter seemed to go down quite some distance before it turned the engine over. It should also spring back upright. Have you had the gearbox apart? If not, try taking off the front cover. Ease it off gently until you can swing the kick starter forward as far as it will go. It should go forward, winding up the spring, as far as the gear lever. Tie the starter to the gear lever. Screw the cover up then release the kick starter. It should then spring back to the upright position. I would also take the plug lead away from the barrel. Perhaps one of the old type rubber ties or cable tie, round the lead and A/R cable will hold it forward of the barrel.
1957M30

Post by 1957M30 »

ma120990 wrote:OK after visiting mum for the appropriate Mothers day event, I did a spot of videoing of me trying to start the AJAY. This is aimed more at newbies to big singles who might not have any prior knowledge of where to start.

The old sage's who have been owning and riding their bikes for donkeys years will have starting pretty much off to a fine art, but for the likes of us not of that era, figuring out what all those levers do and where they need to be set for starting can be like dabbling with the dark arts.

Do however correct me where I am wrong as this video and the settings are only based on where I got everything to work for me. :)

https://youtu.be/ejdIFIptvCs

Thanks...... A very informative and well presented video !
It should be of use to all the poor sods with swollen ankles and busted kneecaps 😜 from being Clueless about Matchless and Ajay starting procedures 🏍💨
Ride Safe & don'wear beige :lol:
ma120990

Post by ma120990 »

Rob Harknett wrote:Well the old bike started OK.
The only observations I can make is, it did sound a bit choked & retarded.
Thanks Rob, following this I did tweak the carb a tad to weaken the mixture and it did seem to run a bit sweeter. as for the plut lead, yes agree it is lying a tad too close to the cooling fins so will deffo introduce a tie to hold it off from getting cooked.

As for the kick starter, thats something I will have to investigate. It's definitely weak on the return and does foul the exhaust by a smidge. I am sure the exhaust can be tweaked with a spot of minor adjustment with a tap or two to introduce some clearance. :-)
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Yes nothing much to worry about, just an odd job or two when you feel like doing it.
zwarts

Post by zwarts »

Judging by how easily it starts there can't be much wrong with the magneto!
Not a criticism, and you know your bike best, but does it really need the choke leaving on for so long? Once it's running it sounds slightly 'wooly' (over -rich). Have you tried opening the choke lever fully, or gradually, as soon as the engine is running?
The lazy kickstart lever will be an easy fix, it may just need the spring winding up a bit more.
ma120990

Post by ma120990 »

zwarts wrote:Judging by how easily it starts there can't be much wrong with the magneto!
Thanks Zwarts.

What was not seen in this video was the near 10-15 kicks beforehand to try and get it running (it's almost like yer priming/doping the cylinder with fuel to get it rich enough to start).. The guy who serviced it commented that it was a b***er to start compared to his 350. I would also add that my uncle (who bought it from new) had similar experiences in starting woes e.g. number of kicks.

The focus of the video was more about which lever does what for those with little to know knowledge of big singles and the importance of the right settings. I did agree with Rob's view that it was running overly rich and since making this vid have weakened it off a tad and would say it seems much happier on tickover now. :-)
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Note I did say it sounded choked and I hardly ever use choke myself. If you did give the bikes a lot of kicks, then it could have been because of choke. A good flooding and it may start first kick on a dry plug. Mine do. They are not so willing if they have had a couple of kicks and the plug is fowled/wet.