G80 Primary Chain

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Brad

G80 Primary Chain

Post by Brad »

Good Afternoon.
I have bought a "Renolds" chain from a well known auction site and seem to recall that when buying renolds chain in the past that it always had the name stamped somewhere on one of the side plates, and the chain I have in front of me only has (to my eyes) an indecipherable stamp mark of some sorts on the side plates. It is obviously a new chain and arrived in a strong clear plastic bag with a DID joining link. How can I be sure I have received what I paid for?
Some words of wisdom would be appreciated as I don't want to confront the seller at this stage because renolds logo may well have changed since I last bought chain.
Thank you.
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is. ;)
thornebt

Re: G80 Primary Chain

Post by thornebt »

You could email Renolds at:-

sales@cc.renold.com

Maybe send a photo if that is feasible.

Cheers. Bruce.
Brad

Post by Brad »

Good idea Bruce. I'll give it a go.
Brad

Post by Brad »

thornebt wrote:You could email Renolds at:-

sales@cc.renold.com

Maybe send a photo if that is feasible.

Cheers. Bruce.
I couldn't get the above link to work Bruce. However, I have looked on the Renolds Website and every chain I saw had the makers name stamped on many of the side plates. With this in mind I have contacted the seller to see what he says.
Flash

Post by Flash »

Brad. Why not wait till Monday at the Ashford show, then see the chain man, he should be there.

Regards John
Brad

Post by Brad »

Flash wrote:Brad. Why not wait till Monday at the Ashford show, then see the chain man, he should be there.

Regards John
Hi John.
Yes I considered, that but I already had the chaincase stripped out and didn't want to refit my knackered chain for the ride to Ashford only to have to strip it down again after.
JimFitz

Post by JimFitz »

Hi Brad

I have read a lot about Renolds chains not being what they were in the past. I have always used The Chain Man for all my chain requirements having spoken to him at Kempton about Renolds chains. He sells Iwis chains if I remember correctly - he will not stock Renolds.
See you at Ashford on Monday.

Jim
Too old to Rock and Roll but too young to die.

1952 G80 rigid, 1960 G12 DL / Watsonian Monza, 1954 G80S.
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

The chain man supplies the club and we only stock IWIS as Andy reckons it's the best you can get.
Brad

Post by Brad »

ajscomboman wrote:The chain man supplies the club and we only stock IWIS as Andy reckons it's the best you can get.
I suspect I just wasn't looking in the right place but I spent a frustrating half hour on the club spares site looking for primary chain without success. Hence my recourse to the well known auction site. :headbang: :headbang:
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Brad wrote:
ajscomboman wrote:The chain man supplies the club and we only stock IWIS as Andy reckons it's the best you can get.
I suspect I just wasn't looking in the right place but I spent a frustrating half hour on the club spares site looking for primary chain without success. Hence my recourse to the well known auction site. :headbang: :headbang:
Huh? club spares website, gearbox, clutch and chaincase and it's on the first page. 66 links, 67 links etc etc .

Not to worry at least your sorted.