Beware old tyres!

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Mckorkins

Beware old tyres!

Post by Mckorkins »

I'm sure that there's no need to warn people about riding on old tyres, but this is given just a precaution: the other day I took my Matchless G80 out for its first run in several months and it was going really well - until I rounded a right-angled corner not 200 yards from my house, when whizzz...the bike piroutted 180°, throwing me off (for the first time in over 40 years)! Not hurt much (save a holed moleskin jacket, a grazed knee and my pride), I picked the machine up and made my way back home with my tail between my legs. I had discovered that although there was plenty of wear left on the tyre treads (Speedmaster front, Roadrunner rear), the compound had obviouly hardened without the cracking often associated with it. They were also relatively cold, so that exacerbated the situation. Needless to say, I had them replaced straight away with, again, a Speedmaster on the front and an Avon Safety Mileage on the back (correct matching). On dating the originals, it was found that they were manufactured back in 2002/3! I also dated the front tyre on my Model 18 Ajay and found that it was manufactured back in 1998 and this was replaced as well for good measure! :oops:
Janet

Re: Beware old tyres!

Post by Janet »

This sounds like a good excuse to get out more on your bikes. Having to buy new tyres because you've worn the old ones out must be more cost effective than having to buy them because they've perished. Try making that excuse to the missus and, when the bruising has gone down, tell us how well it worked. ;)
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

I have found, tyres old or new need a few miles to clean them up, after not being used for a while. Also apply the brakes as soon as you start off. Keep them on until they start to grip. Same applies to tubes. How many of you take the tyres off to inspect the tubes after a lay up. It would not surprise me if no one does. Many years ago I set off on a run from a rally on 1936 250 AJS. After 5 miles I noticed my rear tyre was a bit flat. I pumped it up with the bikes pump, got back to the rally field OK. Jan got off the pillion, just as I got off the tube let all its air out. There was a 6" rip in a seam. Years later at the North Weald airfield Essex Alternative, this time on my 1963 G12 CSR . Only about 7 miles from my home. Took it easy for a few miles to clean up the tyres and brakes. All's going fine, so the last 2/3 miles on the main A414 road, we are hoping along a bit, laying round bends. Got to the airfield, now 1.8 miles round the air to the rally site, speed limit 20 MPH. Just steered the bike round a 90 degree bend and it snaked all over the place. Only just managed to stay upright. Had no warning the rear tyre was flat on a bend 100 yards prior to the one, at which the tyre let out all its air. Yep, another tube with a 6" rip in a seam. So please be warned, tubes you cannot see are perished, can be far more dangerous than old tyres. I was unlucky twice, but also lucky twice, as the tube let all its air out when going real slow or stationary.
Mckorkins

Post by Mckorkins »

Ah, Janet, my missus does let me out every now and then! She Who Must (normally) Be Obeyed is usually out on the golf course, so I've got ample time to have a bike ride - if the weather is warm. I'm a fine-weather motorcyclist these days and only venture out when it's not too inclement! Having said that, I remember riding back from home in Somerset to my (Army) camp at Hermitage near Newbury during the appalling conditions of the winter of 1962/3, so I never want to be that cold (or frightened) again! I'm too old to bounce along the tarmac these days and it hurts.

Rob, you are right: the inner tube is something that you can't see and ought to be checked fairly regularly. When I replaced my Ajay's tyre, the inner tube was found to be a very poor quality item made in Korea and it was also persihed, so could have gone at anytime. The wheel band was also perished and that too was replaced.

By the way, my ATD is sorted (thanks to Tony Cooper) and the bike idles normally. The springs were too weak and the right ones are now fitted. All good...
Brad

Post by Brad »

Thank you so much for your post. It prompted me to do what I know I should have done some time ago. New rear tyre, tube and rim tape now ordered for Betsy my M21. :beer:
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is. ;)
Mckorkins

Post by Mckorkins »

Brad, I think your 'quotation' applies to me! :D
shifter

Post by shifter »

I was heading out for a run on my Model 20 got about 1/2 a mile away from home when the front tyre deflated very quick but I managed to stay upright (pew). When I got back to the workshop and took off the front wheel/tyre the culprit was the valve had detached itself from the inner tube. A new tyre/tube and rim tape was soon ordered and fitted
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
?
Flash

Post by Flash »

Brad,
Perhaps you should bring her to the meet next Monday night if it's fixed in time.

Shifter, this is a common cause of the problem, incorrect tyre pressures, a lot of people just get the bike out without checking tyre pressures first and what happens is that the innertube creeps round in the tyre until it pulls out the valve, I personally prefer to use a Metzler Lazertec tyre on the front and because it's a modern tyre, I inflate it to the more modern pressure using about 26 psi and I can highly reccomend these, Avon skid masters have had there day with me i'm afraid. :beer: :beer:

Regards John
shifter

Post by shifter »

John
The old girl is back on the road but even though I would love to call down for a chat and a pint I think Kent maybe a little far for me and the old girl
?
alanengineer

Post by alanengineer »

you would enjoy the ride down here. Its so hot now, i am stripped off to just my tee shirt.( sorry, no photos)