Clutch actuating lever jammed ❗️

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Rob Harknett

Re: Clutch actuating lever jammed ❗️

Post by Rob Harknett »

yes swing the kick starter forward and tie it, that will stop the spring unwinding, if the clutch still wont operate, investigate other options suggested, like clutch plate jammed in slot etc. The thrust rod should not had mushroomed. Look at the clutch remove plates check trust rod moves freely, By doing all this you should had discovered the problem by now. I would not advise using the same thrust rod, it should not had mushroomed at the ends which should be case hardened. Was it also bent, one of the things you would had discovered by doing the above mentioned.
1957M30

Post by 1957M30 »

Thanks Rob........... Am ordering a new rod after I have striped things out to see if I need any other parts to order, cwould never replace a worn one back permanently,
The rod wasn't bent but the lever still makes a metal to metal type noise when the clutch is pulled in and then
The cable nipple slips out of its seating in the actuating arm.
Ride Safe & don'wear beige :lol:
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Well, basically the moving parts are cable, thrust rod and clutch plates. It does sound like plates sticking now. Have you viewed the clutch? When pulling in the clutch lever you will see plates separate, on release the plates should close and spring pressure pushing the thrust rod back again, leaving the cable tight. If of cause the cable is still adjusted correctly.
leswaller

Post by leswaller »

Please see my previous post re clutch basket/cush drive nut - have you checked that nothing is loose here as this will allow the whole plot to move sideways which will hammer the ends of your push rod and will also give a metal to metal noise as the basket slides from side to side. You will need to remove the primary case outer to check this.
Les
Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of the wise
1957M30

Post by 1957M30 »

leswaller wrote:Please see my previous post re clutch basket/cush drive nut - have you checked that nothing is loose here as this will allow the whole plot to move sideways which will hammer the ends of your push rod and will also give a metal to metal noise as the basket slides from side to side. You will need to remove the primary case outer to check this.
Thanks Les

This will be the next thing to investigate, am sure you have nailer the root cause 👍👍👍

I had better add some new gaskets to my parts order.......not sure what the current wisdom is
about reusing gaskets and the smearing of Hylomar !
Last edited by 1957M30 on Wed May 17, 2017 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ride Safe & don'wear beige :lol:
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

I'm guessing the cable is coming adrift from the lever because the lever is travelling too far, this could be caused by the mushrooming of the ends of the push rod effectively shortening it. Failing that the clutch centre could be loose on the gearbox input shaft.
As suggested above - my next move would be to remove the primary chain case cover - see if there is any end float in the cutch on the gearbox shaft, if not see how much free play there is on the clutch adjuster screw, (the one in the centre of the pressure plate).
Whatever the case you will need a replacement push rod.

Regards Mick
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Sounds like Les has had this problem with the AMC gear box, which I think you should have. Be good to know if this is indeed the problem. So make the knowledge more widely known.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

I believe the ends of the push rod were case hardened - eventually they will wear through the hardening and continued use will result in the ends mushrooming.

Is the ball bearing still in place at the kick start end of the push rod?

Struggling to see how a loose clutch centre would mushroom a push rod, (not to say it couldn't happen, (but it's not going to move when it's driving), - just can't see how at this time).

Regards Mick
leswaller

Post by leswaller »

Mick D wrote:Hi

Struggling to see how a loose clutch centre would mushroom a push rod, (not to say it couldn't happen, (but it's not going to move when it's driving), - just can't see how at this time).

Regards Mick
Hi Mick
Oh yes it does, and it did!!
Les
Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of the wise
ajsph

Post by ajsph »

If it is an AMC gearbox, you need to remove the kickstart lever before you can remove the outer cover, the spring will not unwind.
Regards Poul