Clutch actuating lever jammed ❗️

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
leswaller

Re: Clutch actuating lever jammed ❗️

Post by leswaller »

1957M30 wrote:
ajsph wrote:If it is an AMC gearbox, you need to remove the kickstart lever before you can remove the outer cover, the spring will not unwind.
Regards Poul
It's a Burman box 👍
Ok, you can disregard my comments, I thought you had an AMC box as that was what had been referred to earlier on.
Les
Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of the wise
1957M30

Post by 1957M30 »

leswaller wrote:
1957M30 wrote:
ajsph wrote:If it is an AMC gearbox, you need to remove the kickstart lever before you can remove the outer cover, the spring will not unwind.
Regards Poul
It's a Burman box 👍
Ok, you can disregard my comments, I thought you had an AMC box as that was what had been referred to earlier on.

hi Les......................... your comments are most welcome
correct me if I'm being dumb but are there parts catalogues here that have part numbers and drawings ?
I haven't dug around here yet.............I guess the archive has stuff.
Draganfly has all one could wish for but they use different part numbers so I cant cross reference them to our spares numbers.

glad I have found a schematic there as this helps to understand the problem.

cheers

Karol
Ride Safe & don'wear beige :lol:
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

It's all here Karol:

http://archives.jampot.dk/book/

Dave.
1957M30

Post by 1957M30 »

dave16mct wrote:It's all here Karol:

http://archives.jampot.dk/book/

Dave.

cheers Dave
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

1957M30

Post by 1957M30 »

image.jpeg
dave16mct wrote:It must be pulling the lever way too far. Also sounds like your actuating mechanism is worn. Adjust the cable so it does just enough to work (slack lever) This will do while you wait for a new mechanism! If you ordered a thrust rod for a 57 model 30 you will get a 1/4" one which won't do. It's got to be 5/16" dia. You had us fooled by not telling us it's a Burman box. Don't worry, you'll have a lovely clutch when you've finished! :D
Dave.
leswaller wrote:
1957M30 wrote:
Regards Poul
It's a Burman box 👍

Just had the cover off and not surprisingly found lots of wear on the trust rod (nearly 5/16) shorter and 1/4" dia and not 5/16" also lots of wear in the acctuator mechanism cups and all the balls are pitted.

Just need to get the parts ordered up and all should be well !!!

Does anyone know the part number for a suitable clutch cable ? as the Doherty 703 replacement cable I have is about an inch shorter on the inner ( this would not have helped the issue I had)

Thanks for all your info and info

Cheers

Karol
🏍💨💨💨
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

If you search for certain parts wanted by the parts list book part number, you cannot always find them. This does not mean the club has not got what you want, it may mean you may not be searching the number the club uses. For any pre 1952 pt. no. you need to convert that old part number to the new pt. no. I believe your bike is fitted with a Burman gear box of the type used circa 1955. ( check that in the 1955 parts list ) If I am correct in my thinking. You will see the clutch cable to fit that gearbox is pt. no. 021405. This is one of those numbers that will not be found. Don't give up in thinking the club has not got what you want. Check the print out version of the parts stocked. This gives more info. than a search will find. Under cables you will see Clutch cable pt. no. T416 ( use for pt. no. 021405 ) If I am correct in thinking you have the circa 1955 Burman box, this cable will be what you need. Length should be OK also it will fit the standard handlebar levers. The gearbox end should have the adjuster that will screw into the gear box. You mentioned you had a lot of pull on the lever and have now reduced this by adjusting the thrust rod adjuster on the clutch. The cup and ball device often runs dry. Will go rusty left standing over winter etc. You will feel its not free as the lever pull will feel heavy. Make a habit of giving this device a good spray of WD 40 regularly. You should be able to check my information is correct, or perhaps some one else will do so. Or just confirm I am correct. It is always good to get a second opinion, what ever it may be, to satisfy you.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

The actuator mechanism doesn't look that bad in my opinion, even the pitted balls won't really affect the operation - I'd give it all a good clean with a wire brush to remove the rust, lube it up and re-assemble with a new rod, correct cable and handlebar lever.

Regards Mick
1957M30

Post by 1957M30 »

Mick D wrote:Hi

The actuator mechanism doesn't look that bad in my opinion, even the pitted balls won't really affect the operation - I'd give it all a good clean with a wire brush to remove the rust, lube it up and re-assemble with a new rod, correct cable and handlebar lever.

Regards Mick
thanks Mick

can't get one of the plates so will do as you suggest..............
I though I needed a T226 cable but Rob says I need a T416 I wish I could find the length details of the 416 as I could then compare with the old one which was 40" outer & 44" inner. All the cables are very similar but I would like one that definitely has a inner longer by 4".
I think the main problem was the worn thrust lever and wrong replacement cable.

cheers

Karol
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Length of the T416 will have the circa 1955 burman gear box fittings correct. The overall length will reach from the gearbox to the handle bars. The inner wire will be of the correct length required. You are stating you need 4" longer inner wire. The only way to discover this is correct for the gearbox you have would be to measure the correct cable.
SDC14650.JPG
Here is a spare clutch cable I have. You will see what it measures and years it fits ( which I believe is from the year of your gearbox. no. will confirm what it fitted ) note the total length and wire slack. Note some of the slack is within the adjuster.
SDC14650.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.