Restore or Not?

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Rob Harknett

Restore or Not?

Post by Rob Harknett »

Restore or Not, an age old question that could go on for ever. Indeed it does, times now seem to be going the same way as antiques.
I just noticed, a totally original unrestored 1937 S.O.S. 250 c.c. took best bike award at the recent Stafford show. I also seem to recall an unrestored bike winning an award at a Jampot rally. Cosmetically unrestored original machines are now quite rare. A few years ago at our rallies such a bike stood a good chance of receiving the de Grot award. Now without so much as a splash of 21st century paint, it could be a concours winner.
Mick D

Re: Restore or Not?

Post by Mick D »

Hi

Unrestored examples will become more desirable as time goes on and they become rarer, I see this as a positive thing.

However there is a fine line between not restoring and allowing to deteriorate further - I would rather see a restored original item than something that's become unrepairable and has to be replaced with modern reproductions.

Regards Mick
kernow kid

Post by kernow kid »

I've commented a few times on my enthusiasm for oily rag restorations and I'm about to do the same to a 57 model 30 I have that looks pretty original ...as the motorcycle section secretary for Padstow Vintage Rally, I get to see lots of bikes, and have formed quite a dislike for over restored, 'cheque book' machines where the owner has given someone ten grand to produce a bike that is definitely shinier than the factory ever produced! I'm really looking forward to parking Sleeping Beauty up and see who asks the questions! I intend for her to be mechanically very sound and very rideable.
:D
kk
Top tip - if it needs more than 2 bolts to hold it on, its probably important...
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

At a small club show one of my bikes won best Prewar bike restoration prize. It was clearly not the shiniest. I over heard a comment to a judge, who replied. Its a restoration award, you can see he's done it all himself. He must have had the same feelings as yourself Tony.
Harry44

Post by Harry44 »

I've been roped in to judge several times the first time was a shock as I was attacked almost physically because I gave the best classic to a bike that had the wrong year of rear wheel.

Being bloody minded ever since then I've gone for what I like and think deserves a prize and if others don't like it, run your own show.

A few years ago I gave best in show to a teenager who had fitted a Honda CG 125 engine into an otherwise standard Bantam. Why? So he can ride it on L plates. He'd done a really good job, the engine looked like it grew there except everything was matt green apart from the engine which was polished within an inch of it's life to make a feature of it.

I felt it important to encourage a young talent. To my surprise it was a popular choice.
si is does non opportunus vos postulo a maior pango
Afs pete

Post by Afs pete »

I like to look at fully restored bikes and original, my bike is original apart from a tank repaint and pannier trays repair and repaint, so is that unrestored? fine line. I hope we don't go down the VW and American truck fashion of rubbing paint away and clear coat over rust thing.
bostonted

Post by bostonted »

i recently bought a g80cs, not been used since the 1970,s, i problay paid to much for it , but the reason i got it was because no one had touched it since the 1960,s the wheel rims were a bit rusty but they have cleaned up ok, and once you replace one wheel rim ,then it looks worse so you end up replacing all parts ,even thou they still ok to use, also the original owner contacted me and told me all the things he had done to the bike ,back in the 60,s and i wanted to keep it that way even thou it may have left the factory slightly different. When the bike is a oily rag it will get used more in all weathers, the moment you restore and spend ££££,s on it you may never ride it again but just leave it in the shed, if you then show it there is always one who says you have a metric nut and bolt, which it should not have, etc
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Afs pete wrote:I like to look at fully restored bikes and original, my bike is original apart from a tank repaint and pannier trays repair and repaint, so is that unrestored? fine line. I hope we don't go down the VW and American truck fashion of rubbing paint away and clear coat over rust thing.
Do they rub away paint or just new paint?
Perhaps this is done to preserve what is left of a machines original finish. It is being done to bikes. I sold an almost completely rusted bike, with very few traces of original paint left. The bike was restored mechanically only. The bike was just cleaned of dirt and oily muck etc. It was then coated with Owatrol. A clear oil type product intended for wooden garden furniture etc. It dries to a clear matt finish. The bike is now 90 years old, up and running looking like a bike built 90 years ago. Put beside another AJS of the same year, looking like it was made yesterday, only got a sideways glace as passed by. The crowd gathering round the rusty old bike.
Sammy Miller had a similar display years ago at his previous museum. Perhaps he still features it in his new museum. It certainly stopped people just walking by. What was displayed was a Notice. which read. " If you want to loose him in the shed for year, by him one of these " In front of the notice laid a pile of very rusty parts of a complete motor cycle inc. dirt and cobwebs.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Mick D wrote:Hi

Unrestored examples will become more desirable as time goes on and they become rarer, I see this as a positive thing.
Roy's doing his best to corner the market...........

'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

My '47 Model 18 was an unrestored one owner bike owned from new by an AMC dealer Arthur Elliot (S. R. Jeffery & Son of Guildford)

used almost daily until he died c. 2009 at 83......

Awarded a 1st by AMC fan Frank Westworth at the Ardingly show 2009 8-)
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'