Restore or Not?

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Rob Harknett

Re: Restore or Not?

Post by Rob Harknett »

Its amazing how some rusty bikes make the journey home for the buyer. I once got a rusty 1927 triumph. It was rustier than I thought. When I got the bike home I had to sweep it out the trailer as a bag of rust.
Brad

Post by Brad »

Not a Matchless or AJS but this is my 1952 M21. It had a few mods done in 1964 prior to a trip overland to Australia and was away for three years in the hands of a good friend and his wife. (Two up on a rigid frame!!!) Sadly my friend died in 2015 and his wife passed the machine on to me. It will not be restored while in my keeping. Hope my attempts to resize the file have worked.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is. ;)
bostonted

Post by bostonted »

This is a great example of why not to restore, what a journey this has been on, every knock and scratch, lots of tales to tell, fantastic.
kernow kid

Post by kernow kid »

Managed to resize a couple pics
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Top tip - if it needs more than 2 bolts to hold it on, its probably important...
ma120990

Post by ma120990 »

Interesting spread of views.

Whilst it's nice to see the shiny, highly polished, I have tried to resist such thoughts and kept the ole 18CS pretty much as I bought it other than some replacement wiring, a new seat cover and some new tyres, tubes and fluids etc. My philosophy is as long as it ain't broke don't fix it. I don't see the need to replace or upgrade something just to make it look pretty, so I guess I am on the side of the antique dealers who look for that well worn tank paint and slightly pitted chrome than a highly made over glass case version.

I would also agree that the value of doing little will probably do more to maintain a solid value than spending several £k's, but it's all a case of personal choice.. One mans beer is anothers poison.

That being said, as untouched versions become harder to find, prices may invariably rise for those 'original' machines that become like needles in haystacks to find.
ma120990

Post by ma120990 »

kernow kid wrote:Managed to resize a couple pics
Mines got those grips... more or less
:lol:
kernow kid

Post by kernow kid »

ma120990 wrote:
kernow kid wrote:Managed to resize a couple pics
Mines got those grips... more or less
:lol:
Lol...my grips are more less than more! Much as I want to keep it as it is, I think I'll need a set of grips...unless someone has a serviceable used pair?? One silencer is rather holey, so I'd buy a used but serviceable silencer too!!
kk
Top tip - if it needs more than 2 bolts to hold it on, its probably important...