1961Model 14 Jumps into gear when kick starting

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Monty1

1961Model 14 Jumps into gear when kick starting

Post by Monty1 »

Hi

I bought a Model 14 with the intention of restoring it and have commenced the strip down.

The gearbox jumps into gear when kick starting and I thought it would be a broken pawl spring on the gear change mechanism.

So I whipped of the gearbox cover and guess what, it isn't! I would be grateful for any idea's.

Thanks
Monty
56G80S

Re: 1961Model 14 Jumps into gear when kick starting

Post by 56G80S »

Monty

Just promoting you back up the list; can't help as it's not something that ever happened when I had the 14CSR.

Johnny B
clanger9

Post by clanger9 »

When the kickstart engages, it put end thrust on the lay shaft. If the layshaft bush at the other end is knackered (common problem), then the resulting movement could cause a gear to engage I guess.

You might find some useful tips in my Lightweight gearbox rebuild guide here:
https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/AJS-Matchl ... haul/91777
1989 Moto Morini Dart 350
1993 Ducati 750SS
Monty1

Post by Monty1 »

Hi Johnny and Clanger

Thanks for the replies.

I will have to delve a bit deeper into the box and check it out, after reading your rebuild guide first though.

Thanks again
oldandsmelly

Post by oldandsmelly »

I'm about to remove and rebuild the gearbox on my G2.

The IFIXIT guide linked above is just fantastic, the best and most useful thing I've seen for a while and any nervousness i had about starting the job has gone.

Just thought it's worth giving some feedback given the faff and time it must take to produce the guide.
clanger9

Post by clanger9 »

Thanks for the feedback, guys! If the guide helps you to sort out your gearbox, then I'm over the moon. :D
It's mostly a compilation of what I've learned from the very helpful people on this forum, with a bit of my own learning added in from when I finally got around to doing the job myself.

The fixit.com site is really neat: as long as you take loads of photos, it's surprisingly easy to put a guide together. Plus, anyone can edit or comment on the guides, so if I messed up anywhere, then feel free to comment or improve it. I discovered it while learning to fix iPhones and other electronic gadgets. There's not a huge amount of bike stuff on there, but I figured I'd give it a go.
1989 Moto Morini Dart 350
1993 Ducati 750SS