leaky end cap

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Harry44

leaky end cap

Post by Harry44 »

I'm having another go at stopping the front end cap of the oil pump from leaking. :rofl:

It's an annoying leak 'cos it never stops and makes 'eck of a mess on the bike lift (Where she lives) and means I have to clean up the mess before I move her.
si is does non opportunus vos postulo a maior pango
Rob Harknett

Re: leaky end cap

Post by Rob Harknett »

Perhaps get a new one + gasket. be quick club spares states limited supply.
burrage
Deceased

Post by burrage »

Somebody's got one 'cos they took a photograph of it for the quiz a coupe of weeks ago!
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

burrage wrote:Somebody's got one 'cos they took a photograph of it for the quiz a coupe of weeks ago!
They were used 1937 onwards. Just a blanking plate prior to 1937. So an 80 year old one could turn up quite bent, buckled and moth eaten.
Harry44

Post by Harry44 »

Rob Harknett wrote:Perhaps get a new one + gasket. be quick club spares states limited supply.

I may have to resort to that. I'll see if this works, its an old theory of mine that will offend many. Leave the gasket out and use sealant, it halves the number of places it can leak. But I'll have to make sure I don't block the oilway. :D
si is does non opportunus vos postulo a maior pango
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Note for some reason, the front end cap has 4 screws, the rear has 4 bolts.
clive

Post by clive »

Rob Harknett wrote:Note for some reason, the front end cap has 4 screws, the rear has 4 bolts.
The reason is easy Rob. You can get access to get a screw driver on the front plate but access to the rear one is much hampered by the nearby gearbox hence the bolts which require a BA spanner.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
clive

Post by clive »

This knowledge does not enable me to stop mine leaking however!
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Too far back in time since I last worked on the parts to remember Clive. Screw and bolt do not give a clue as both could have hex head. I have always thought, screw has threads all along to the head, bolt does not have threads all along to the head. So the choice on the caps is due to fitting / access.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

Rather than leave out the gasket I'd tape some fine wet and dry paper to a sheet of glass or MDF and flatten the mating surface of the end cap. Also inspect the crank case, especially around the threads for burrs - remove any you find with a counter sink / large drill bit by hand.
Thoroughly de-grease the mating surfaces.
Assemble with a new gasket sealed both sides with Wellseal.

Leaving the gasket out will remove it's ability to accommodate small defects in the surfaces - it's a bad move in my opinion.

The original gaskets are very thin - if you're still plagued by leaks try using a thicker gasket material, (similar to that used on the rocker box).

Are you sure the leak is coming from the joint? - could it be the taper to the rocker oil pipe leaking?

Regards Mick