Matchless special completed

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Stan Palmer

Matchless special completed

Post by Stan Palmer »

The little Matchless is now complete. The carburation not quite sorted. I used a JRC (Keihin) from the guy at Kempton. They don't have Matchless in their application list so wrongly jetted it. The rest is a 1946 G3L frame and forks, 1953 G3c engine, 1957 AMC gearbox. Alton 12v generator, KTM indicators and mirrors (my son gets a free set every year with the enduro bike). Left hand oil tank, right hand foam filter, two seris 6 volt batteries in the toolbox. so far I have done 6 miles. I tried to add a few photos but each time I added one it deleted the previous. Been fighting with windows 10 all morning and am weary of another fight to add more pictures !
Stan
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SPRIDDLER

Re: Matchless special completed

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Just lovely, Stan.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
kernow kid

Post by kernow kid »

Looking very nice Stan, please persevere as Id love to see more pics.
Regards Tony
Top tip - if it needs more than 2 bolts to hold it on, its probably important...
Stan Palmer

Post by Stan Palmer »

Actually I have found the problem. Even though I converted to JPEG the files are too big. So more thinking and searching.
Stan
kernow kid

Post by kernow kid »

Hi Stan,
I had a similar problem, its possible to download a program that will 'shrink' pics, reducing their size, data wise. Several are available. I did it on my phone with an app, but they are available for PCs, google JPEG Compression.
Regards Tony
Top tip - if it needs more than 2 bolts to hold it on, its probably important...
Stan Palmer

Post by Stan Palmer »

DELETED
Last edited by Stan Palmer on Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JimFitz

Post by JimFitz »

Hi Stan

If you have Microsoft Office Picture Manager, just right click on the picture, select "edit", then select "compress pictures", Then select "compress for", then click the circle next to "web pages". If you want to leave your original pic unchanged then "save as" with a different name and save it to your desktop so you can find it again.

Good luck

Jim
Too old to Rock and Roll but too young to die.

1952 G80 rigid, 1960 G12 DL / Watsonian Monza, 1954 G80S.
Stan Palmer

Post by Stan Palmer »

Wow Jim, that worked. Didn't know I had Picture Manager. So another try.
Stan
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Flash

Post by Flash »

Stan
Very nice job on that, I'm still running onyour old G11 heads, just did a de-coke and the old girl seems to be working fine. :beer: :beer:
Stan Palmer

Post by Stan Palmer »

Hi John. Glad the heads were suitable, especially as the guarantee has lapsed now.
I am quite happy after that short run on the Matchless. The front brake is only 5 1/2 inch but is no worse than the 7" on my AJS: that has been a concern up till now. It is much lower and lighter than the AJS, still a struggle to pull on to the rear stand, but nothing like the ordeal of getting the AJS on the centre stand. I think the gearing may be too low, such a mix of parts, I should have done a thorough job of checking the final output ( I basically used what I had and what I could get). But maybe Its OK. I haven't ridden the other one for two years and I remember that always felt undergeared.
Somebody had converted the crankshaft to the non-shock absorber type: it means a straight splined version but with the dynamo sprocket on the back. They are very rare, Steve Surbey had only one, so my only choices for ratio change is the gearbox sprocket or rear sprocket (which is a detachable aluminium type).
Stan