Position of fuse(s) holder in the wiring loom

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
ducati2242

Re: Position of fuse(s) holder in the wiring loom

Post by ducati2242 »

SPRIDDLER wrote:During my apprenticeship a chap sustained a severe burn on his wrist when his expanding metal watch strap shorted a Jag's battery post to the battery retaining bar.
On my first day I was told never to wear a watch, tie or scarf even though back then (1961) the unheated workshop was very cold and draughty.
That brings back a horrific memory . I used to drive heavy plant , i was broken down on an old cat d8 , 24 volt , the fitter had his had up the back of the dash and managed to weld his stainless steel watch strap to the ammeter . It was still glowing when he got it out . At least it cauterized the cut as he degloved his hand on the way out .
kernow kid

Post by kernow kid »

Even a 6v 6 ah battery has the capacity to give a nasty burn if shorted out or blow up. Certainly could fry a loom.
As a marine electronics engineer, I work on a lot of 12 and 24 v DC circuits, often with over 400ah of battery capacity available. Hence why I wear no rings or necklace and my watch is velcro strap all plastic Casio!
A simple trick is to wrap the spanner or shaft of the screwdriver with a few layers of insulating tape to prevent accidental shorts.
Regards kk
Top tip - if it needs more than 2 bolts to hold it on, its probably important...
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

I'm fitting a small, two fuse, fuseholder to the G3/LS that I'm rebuilding. I'm also fitting a solid state dynamo regulator. The two items fit quite neatly onto a plate mounted on the old MCR2 regulator brackets.
One fuse will protect the lights, the other is for the horn and indicators that I've also fitted.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.
raffles

Post by raffles »

You might want to (perhaps you have)consider turning the mounting plate around so that the wires are on the same side as the battery.
Tony
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

raffles wrote:You might want to (perhaps you have)consider turning the mounting plate around so that the wires are on the same side as the battery.
Tony
With respect, the wires don't go to the battery. I assume you're referring to the wires from the regulator as they are the only wires on show. The green and yellow wires go to the dynamo, the red wire will be grounded and the black wire goes to one side of the ammeter (via one end of the fuse box).
The positive side of the battery will be grounded, the negative side will go to the other side of the ammeter.
I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.