Post by JEAN-NOEL »

What are the best lubricants for :
Clutch cable
Front brake cable
A/R Mag cable
Throttle and choke cable
Tacho cable
Speedo cable.
Some use motor oïl, others light cycle oïl, others WD 40, others, dry lubricants (MoS² ?)
Cheers
J.N.
Rob Harknett

Re: How lubricate cables on a bike ?

Post by Rob Harknett »

These are all given in your bikes instruction book.
JEAN-NOEL

Post by JEAN-NOEL »

Hello Rob,
Sorry, I have not found about speedo or tacho cable in my 64 manual. Just about controls : a drop of engine oïl...
So, we have now lubricants better performing than 50 years or so we had.
Cheers. J.N.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Hi J.N,
The 1941 WD instruction book gives more info than later manuals on the general maintenance.
http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Owners_m ... Manual.pdf
Page 15 gives speedo lubrication info. " Use grease sparingly via the nipple on the gearbox drive , no other part of the speedo inc. the cable needs lubrication." This book does give a lot of info not found in other instruction books, that would apply and assist when working on your bike. True modern lubricants should be better. However, the old have proved over a time period of 50 + years, they have kept our bikes going. If used as recommended. Something modern lubricants have yet to prove.
kernow kid

Post by kernow kid »

Hi J-N,
I have tended to use WD40 and light cycle oil, known as 3 in 1 in the UK, but your post encouraged me to Google the topic. Of course, in the last 50 years teflon lined cables have been invented, and the thinking is that they shouldn't be lubricated. There is a lot of messages on lots of forums saying using oil is ok, but it can attract dirt to stick to the inner, so a rubber boot at each end is important. There is also many people saying graphite powder or a spray that carries graphite where the carrier solvent evaporates works well. I think an old type cable where it is a twisted metal wire inside a coil of wire, then 3 in 1 has been ok for me, with WD40 used with one of the cheap applicator clamp on devices to flush through dirt first. Plus I normally have WD40 and 3 in 1 on the shelf!
Top tip - if it needs more than 2 bolts to hold it on, its probably important...
39speedtwin

Post by 39speedtwin »

As Rob has said do not lubricate the speedometer or rev-counter cables, as they turn it acts as a pump and puts oil into the unit which can cause failure!
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

That is what the book says Dudley. However I must admit to having cleaned an inner cable with a petrol soaked rag, as it looked like it was getting a bit rusty. Being aware about oil getting taken up into the speedo head, made sure the inner wire was cleaned dry. Maybe the instructions to grease the speedo drive gearbox sparingly means, too much may allow grease to seep through and up the cable into the speedo head ?? Why flush anything through a speedo cable when the inner wire can be removed, inspected & cleaned?
JEAN-NOEL

Post by JEAN-NOEL »

You're right Rob, the 1941 WD Manual is very interesting. 1964 don't state rear wheel alignment. 1941 one shows three way to do it ! 1941 contains 98 pages for only G3L, very instructive, 1964 only 52 pages for all HW.Thank you Tony for your help. As I have 3 in 1, WD 40, and motor oïl,I think to lube clutch and front brake cables with GP 50 using a sarynge, and 3 in 1 for other cables less stressed. I am aware to no put any lubricant in tacho & speedo cables. Thank you Rob and Dudley.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Yes JN, although it's G3L only and 1941/45 WD. Some useful info and tips that still apply in 1964. Also shown are jigs tools etc

Post by 1608 »

I believe that WD40, although advertised amonst other qualities as a lubricant actually evaporates and has no lasting effect. Its only good for freeing-up seized parts or cleaning etc.