Jampot

General purpose topics/chat goes in here

Re: Jampot

Post by 1608 »

I think Janet simply and politely pointed out the club rules and regs. nothing more and nothing less. Bazz is being a bit thin skinned if he's taken umbrage and as for being refused the co-operation of a member to tag along as a guest and prospective member, well! I'm surprised. Whats the problem. What do we fear from a 60 yr old obvious bike enthusiast? steal all the bikes when we're asleep, get drunk and start fighting, refuse to pay for his stay. I'm amazed at how this simple request to attend has panned out and hope Bazz attends and finds out just what a good club this is.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

1608 wrote:I think Janet simply and politely pointed out the club rules and regs. nothing more and nothing less. Bazz is being a bit thin skinned if he's taken umbrage and as for being refused the co-operation of a member to tag along as a guest and prospective member, well! I'm surprised. Whats the problem. What do we fear from a 60 yr old obvious bike enthusiast? steal all the bikes when we're asleep, get drunk and start fighting, refuse to pay for his stay. I'm amazed at how this simple request to attend has panned out and hope Bazz attends and finds out just what a good club this is.
We are going off topic. However it should be accepted the Jampot Rally is a club event. At club events, those attending should be able to show proof of membership, if called upon to do so. Here are the club rules which members are bound by. http://www.jampot.com/files/downloads/Rulebook_2015.pdf
Non members should also accept we are a club. They would need to be a member to attend a club event.
There should also be no reason why we should discuss insurance etc. for club events. Which has already been dealt with.
Non members should be able to view club rules, via the link on the membership joining page.
I think this topic has now run beyond its course and should be considered concluded. END.
Peter Morris

Post by Peter Morris »

matchbart wrote:I think the best thing Bazz55 could do is not bother getting an AMC machine and like he infers, get a Velo, if he did get in to an exclusive , members only Jampot rally he would probably find loads of motorhomes with trailers, and a few real motorcyclists... discuss

What a ridiculous comment! An ageing membership and others, like me (not young but not very mobile) would strongly disagree. I think you should probably put the brain in gear before posting comments like this again.

.... and WELL SAID Neville
kernow kid

Post by kernow kid »

1608 wrote:I think Janet simply and politely pointed out the club rules and regs. nothing more and nothing less. Bazz is being a bit thin skinned if he's taken umbrage and as for being refused the co-operation of a member to tag along as a guest and prospective member, well! I'm surprised. Whats the problem. What do we fear from a 60 yr old obvious bike enthusiast? steal all the bikes when we're asleep, get drunk and start fighting, refuse to pay for his stay. I'm amazed at how this simple request to attend has panned out and hope Bazz attends and finds out just what a good club this is.
I totally agree. And this is exactly the right place to discuss this. Plenty of posts bemoaning falling membership and how to attract new members. It's not like the rally is some top secret event. Anyone who lands on the club home page can find out all about it!
I hope Bazz revisits the site and also decides to visit the rally as his positive enthusiasm for a bike of the marque was very refreshing amongst the woe betide drivel that is sometimes posted.
I'll buy you a pint Bazz. :beer:
kk
Top tip - if it needs more than 2 bolts to hold it on, its probably important...
Bazz55

Post by Bazz55 »

Thanks for the illuminating insights into the workings of the club! You'll be interested to hear that you're no worse or better than many other clubs I've been in, they all suffer from this sort of squabbling, so it hasn't put me off. But it has made me rethink. Before I commit to a particular bike or one-make club I'm going to talk to my local vintage owners club about good "beginner" bikes. I have met and even ridden with some of them so I sort of know them. I hope I end up with a Matchless though, and if I do I'll be back... :beer:
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

You should find an AJS or Matchless single easy to live with Bazz. The club stocks about £1/3 million of parts to keep them running. Also you can get help from members via the forum. I do not think the Vello O.C. club have a forum. They do state benefits of joining the club like rallies etc. So they are much more of a closed shop to non members, than we are. Non members have free access to most areas of our clubs website. Also 90 days free access to this forum to get help etc. Something the countries largest club, the VMCC, have only just introduced for their own members.
I am probably in the best position to judge how our club is run. Having been a committee member for some 30 years. Our committees have always been the best you could hope for. All very understanding, prepared to listen to members and each other. A committee meeting set for 4 1/2 hours often over runs its time. Some members having approx. 500 mile round trip to a meeting. When we leave our own factory unit HQ. our full time staff take care of admin and spare parts sales. If you are ever going along the A14 past Kettering, pop in and have a look at our HQ. You may even see a bike for sale in our showroom that takes your fancy. We also accommodate another one make clubs spares dept within our HQ beginning with a V. Sorry not Vello. Its Vincent.
Janet

Post by Janet »

Thank you for coming back and letting us know as feedback is always useful. For what it's worth ( not much if it comes from me ) Matchlesses are the way to go*, and definitely singles not twins. Not that I have any of course. ;)

*Depending on who I'm talking to, in which case it could be Le Velocettes, Hondas, Triumphs, Moto Guzzis........... :rofl:
Group Leader

Post by Group Leader »

Bazz55 wrote: I hope I end up with a Matchless though, and if I do I'll be back... :beer:
Bazz unfortunately I won't be able to attend Jampot but as a recently "returned to biking" after 40 years and diving straight in with a 350 single I'll just put in a couple of words for both the marque and the club.

I've had my bike, which I bought from the club, on the road for ~6 weeks, I've thumped my way around ~600 miles (primarily around the country lanes) and just got back from a 60 mile ride on this glorious sunday morning and the grin is still ear-to-ear. For reasons that I've explained elsewhere on the forum it had to be an AJ for me but I'm so glad I've got one. Whilst it's very presentable it is in far from concours condition so plenty of fettling potential remains but it seems to be a good solid machine.

I have to say I was originally astonished by the range and availability of spares for these bikes (both from the club and some other good sources) for what is, essentially, a 70 year old design. This forum provides a tremendous resource to help us newbees get smoothly into the world of old British bikes both through the individuals who freely share their knowledge and experience and the archive of documents that can be found. It is also apparent that there are many "of a similar mind" quite locally to me and so I hope to meet up and make a bunch of new friends with a shared common interest.

Good luck and happy biking (whichever way you go!).

It's such a lovely day out there I think I might be forced to get the AJ out and go for a nother spin :D

Alan
1953 AJS 16MS, 1939 BSA 250 and a 1/3 scale Sopwith Triplane but that's another story ..... :lol:
GOLDSTAR

Post by GOLDSTAR »

Bazz, cutting through all the tommy rot and procrastinations on this post, believe me this is a good club, I joined about 10 yrs ago having found a box of differing years bits,and built a bitsa g80cs short stroke, it has been all over the U.K, continent and Ireland, before this machine I would not have given you thanks for an AMC bike, and that is when living as a kid not 14 miles from Arters.
without the help of the members of this club I couldn't have completed it, this forum, is in my opinion, the best club forum there is, Ariel have a similar one possibly as good, regarding Velocettes, wonderful machines I have two and in fact was out on one this morning for a club run, single AMC machines equally great machines if not so idiosyncratic as Velo's, get yerself a single AMC machine preferabley a 500 , they are good fun, easy to ride, spares are available, this club is 'tops', if it is anything to go by the previous president took his ' chocolate orange' to the West Kent run ,that took 'balls' [he, he,] but if it has a wheel at each end and goes round corners. 'tis O.K.by me, join the club buy your AMC machine and enjoy both. kind regards time for beer :beer:
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Group Leader wrote:
Bazz55 wrote: It's such a lovely day out there I think I might be forced to get the AJ out and go for another spin :D
If I had a pound for the number of times I've nipped out on my bike to the village shop for a pint of milk ...........
...........and come home two hours later :)
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'