Jampot

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Rob Harknett

Re: Jampot

Post by Rob Harknett »

I trust Baz will respond to Janet. There is clearly misunderstandings in these short messages. We do need to be careful who attends our club rallies, to insure we avoid problems. So I would ask Baz to please contact Janet, get a true understanding of our concerns of guests attending our rallies etc. etc to resolve this issue.
G15 Roy

Post by G15 Roy »

Janet wrote:I apologise to all members and non-members alike for driving Bazz away. I did send him a pm early this morning, before I posted my previous post on this thread, asking Bazz to contact me at the president's e-mail address which, unlike messages via this site, is open to all. I was offering to book him into the rally as my guest but I'd already done the damage. If Bazz reconsiders, the offer is still open.
And there we were relying on his booking to get to the break even point. ;) you may have to buy more raffle tickets now.
Roy
Harry44

Post by Harry44 »

I also apologise for my part in upsetting Bazz. However as a very new member I felt my decision to be justified.
si is does non opportunus vos postulo a maior pango
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

It was unfortunately Madam President's lot to highlight (quite correctly) that it's incumbent upon the committee and events organisers to ensure compliance with the conditions imposed by our insurers with regard to security, H&S, and third party liability. An unwelcome imposition precipitated by this litigious world, light-fingered crims and loophole-seeking insurance companies.
I make use of the VMCC 'Day membership' arrangement for non members participating in their events. Maybe this could/should be discussed at the Jampot AGM?
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
matchbart

Post by matchbart »

I think the best thing Bazz55 could do is not bother getting an AMC machine and like he infers, get a Velo, if he did get in to an exclusive , members only Jampot rally he would probably find loads of motorhomes with trailers, and a few real motorcyclists... discuss
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Insurance in general also at rallies has always been considered discussed etc etc. who / what is or is not insured. The last big debate being vehicles at rallies and people riding them. Basically, all vehicles have to be road legal and those riding them licenced. Prior to that we used to even have children riding bikes. I cannot think of anything new that has arisen that needs consideration for our club insurance cover. If any checking on insurance needs to be done, it is more likely that vehicle owners need check their own insurance.
Stuoyb

Post by Stuoyb »

The bottom line is that a Jampot Rally is organised and funded by "the club" (i.e. the members via subscriptions).
As with every similar organisation "the club" has to spend many £000's each year on Public Liability Insurance to protect itself (and the members that fund it) in which the clauses are very tightly regulated.
It is the membership fees that fund all of this (and the PL Insurance covering the event) which is why any non-member has to be "booked in" as an accompanying guest by a member.
Also, the club is a "not for profit" operation (and therefore not liable for corporation tax) and because of this cannot directly accept non-member participation.
These rules apply to any club except those that are a commercial profit-making organisation.
If other (not for profit) clubs are doing things differently then the probability is that they are not operating legally and any penalty or legal liability arising could come back to the members.
thornebt

Post by thornebt »

Janet wrote:I apologise to all members and non-members alike for driving Bazz away. I did send him a pm early this morning, before I posted my previous post on this thread, asking Bazz to contact me at the president's e-mail address which, unlike messages via this site, is open to all. I was offering to book him into the rally as my guest but I'd already done the damage. If Bazz reconsiders, the offer is still open.
If I were not a member and were offered an invitation from the Club president to attend the Jampot as their guest I would feel very honoured. You can't do anymore than that Janet. Let's hope Bazz accepts your offer. Cheers. Bruce.
MikeM.

Post by MikeM. »

Matchbart, not everyone goes to the Jampot in a motor caravan or with a caravan, many still ride and camp and some of us of a certain age still camp using a tent though nowadays we trailer the bike for would be thoroughly stupid to try to ride a bike loaded with camping gear when you are 80 plus.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

matchbart wrote: .....if he did get in to an exclusive , members only Jampot rally he would probably find loads of motorhomes with trailers, and a few real motorcyclists... discuss
It's the inevitable result of an aging membership, not a lack of real motorcyclists.
Most attending events would dearly love to continue camping at events home and abroad with just a tent, s/bag, toothbrush, loo roll, bottle opener and a quart of oil but for many it's a question of give up the tent or give up the events, and perhaps the bike and club.
All of those pensioner 'softies' are still real motorcyclists, many of whom have and still do contribute voluntarily and have supported the running of club and events and in various official and behind-the-scenes ways for 10, 15 or 20 years or more. It's generally those retired greybeards who are willing and able to give the time and effort required.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'