Lead Replacement Petrol

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Mark Bruce.

Lead Replacement Petrol

Post by Mark Bruce. »

At present I am running a 1956 Model 18S on LRP. Has anybody got any views on this (ie problems etc).
Rohan B.

Lead Replacement Petrol

Post by Rohan B. »

Don't know where you are Mark, but I notice our local Club magazine here in Australia notes that LRP here caused noticeable carbon build-up after a relatively short mileage. (not in a Matchless though !!) Phosphorus in LRP is thought to be the culprit here, don't know how widespread this problem is likely to be. I notice somewhere someone in UK mention difficult hot starting with LRP, no problem when reverted to leaded.

hth,
Rohan.
Neil Chamberlain.

Lead Replacement Petrol

Post by Neil Chamberlain. »

I have only just seen your message but I would suggest there are a lot of people with views on lrp/unleaded and a lot of confusing information.
Having read articles in magazines and on the net etc. I have come to the conclusion, for the mileage done and style of riding on classic bikes(i.e. treat em gently!) that unleaded petrol with an additive such as Castrol Valvemaster is fine. My understanding is that LRP petrol does not have a BS standard and so can be of variable quality. My 1978 Morini does not seem very happy on LRP and runs best on super unleaded(97 octane) with Valvemaster.
Anyone got any views/experience to share?
Regards,
Neil.