not quite a AJS

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Rob Harknett

Re: not quite a AJS

Post by Rob Harknett »

ajscomboman wrote:
AGoodfellow wrote:I have just been offered a BSA C10 approx 1942.
Rob Harknett wrote:First of all what model is it?

:headbang: :headbang:
Ashampoo_Snap_2017.08.22_13h24m16s_001_.png
This is the engine enlarged. Note the plug appears on the left side of the head as on OHV head for C11. Surely the C10 of this year was the same as other years. The plug on top the head not in the side. So are we saying it is a C10 and in 1942 the plug came out the side of the head and not on top.
I see this engine as OHV so C11. Am I right or wrong? Have you a picture of the RH side of the bike
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

shifter wrote:Its a bitsa with an ohv motor shifter
A Bitsa Shifter? Cuh! it's a hybrid ;)

(I did think it unlikely that a bike with an OHV engine would have girder forks, but I'm as clued up as is Janet about BSA's).

I'm pretty sure there's a rocker cover in Rob H's enlargement above..............?
Last edited by SPRIDDLER on Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Ashampoo_Snap_2017.08.22_13h24m16s_001_.png
What do you think now I have photo shopped the picture.
As far as I can see, even more clearly now, it is a C11 head & rocker box,
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Janet

Post by Janet »

SPRIDDLER wrote: I'm as clued up as is Janet about BSA's).
I have an advantage over you in that those drawings I have are from the BSA service sheets.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

There were prewar 250 SV & OHV BSA circa 1937 they were mod 22 & 23. Later C10 and C11 most of the late 30's models you see are de lux mag. ignition models. The bike in question has coil ignition like the post war C10 & C11. I don't know when the C10 & C11 models changed to coil only. But one thing is sure, the bike in question has a C11 OHV engine, now clearly seen in my photo shopped picture. Although I had to change white balance quite a bit to reveal it.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Janet wrote:
SPRIDDLER wrote: I'm as clued up as is Janet about BSA's).
I have an advantage over you in that those drawings I have are from the BSA service sheets.
Janets pics do clearly show the OHV with plug in the side of the head, which is why in the first instant I questioned the model not to be C10.
shifter

Post by shifter »

This is my 1954 c11g ohv, and the one in question I would think is a c11 ohv engine with the dynamo on a chain drive between the engine and gearbox in a c10 side valve rigid/girder frame. Hybrid ;) still got to be worth £1,000.00
?