Personalised number plate

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
kernow kid

Personalised number plate

Post by kernow kid »

Whilst a big lottery win wouldn't persuade me to get a personalised plate, I idly looked on the DVLA website and have found that BR17 AJS is available for £599....
BRIT AJS. ..
Any takers?? Maybe in the Essex area... :D
Can only go on a vehicle 17 reg onwards but hey....
Regards kk
Top tip - if it needs more than 2 bolts to hold it on, its probably important...
Merlin

Re: Personalised number plate

Post by Merlin »

Not for me either have two bikes with original numbers on them, under pressure to sell them but I think they should stay with the bike. The real problem then becomes the next owner who could sell them on. :x
Chemists do it with test tubes
Richard Mills

Post by Richard Mills »

Good thing about changing from an age-related plate to the reclaimed original number, is that the original number cannot in this case be sold on by a later owner.
owen

Post by owen »

I have two numbers sold on by the new owners, It makes me angry, I feel strongly that a number should stay with the vehicle it is part of its history.

Cheers Owen
pkr87

Post by pkr87 »

It is a nice idea that the original number should stay with bike but it does not make the bike ride any differently. I have a Norman with an age related plate the original number was sold off and the bike left in a shed for 8 years which meant I was able to buy the bike quite cheaply, I do know what the original number was and it is a much nicer number but the bike is still a pleasure to ride without it. It is probably cheaper to change your name to suit your number plate than buying a plate to suit your name. Paul
petert120r

Post by petert120r »

I hold personalised number plates in the same light as I do TV's covering most of a wall, tattoos and a certain make of American motorcycle.

(Ducks down quickly behind the parapet to avoid the inevitable incoming salvoes)
Eamonn
Webmaster

Post by Eamonn »

Something to discuss...

Suppose you had a Raleigh Runabout from the late 60's that had been in the back of the shed for the last 50 years, was a bit of a wreck but you could get working again.

Also suppose it had a registration number that had been valued at £3,000.

Would you keep the plate with the bike knowing that the typical value of a Raleigh Runabout is about £800

or

would you sell the plate at £3000, and then sell the re-registered moped at £800?
Corners like a Lego man
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

You have hit the nail on the head there Eamonn back in the late 80's I often came across a little moped on my way to work. The back wheel used to wobble all over the place, it was so buckled. Sort of thing you could not even give away at the time. The number plate on it was 1 IF . Not quite sure about that, but it was number 1 and just 2 letters.
I was also offered about 3 x what I thought one of my barn find auto cycles was worth. 10 x what I paid. I sold it. Guy then said you can keep the bike I'll just have the V5, I'll send you a new V5 when I take the number off. I was not complaining. It was then his property. When I got the new V5 the guy then wanted to buy the bike ???? Why I wondered. Number was not transferable. As it happened the new V5 had 3 letter number *** 786. He then told me 786 was a lucky number to some one of a certain religious belief. Islam or some thing like that. Of course the person that wanted that lucky number would prefer it on his car. But the person would also pay good money, just to have it on the bike sitting in his garage.
pkr87

Post by pkr87 »

I have an MG with number plate - - - 888 which I've had on 2 cars ( sorry about that Petert120r) In France some years ago I came back to the car and it was surrounded by some excited Chinese ladies. They asked nicely, if they could sit in the car and have their pictures taken. Much later I discovered that the number 8 is lucky in China. A car dealer once told me that the number was probably worth more than the car, which did not please me. ( P.S. the number is not for sale) Paul
thornebt

Post by thornebt »

This Matchless on Ebay has a great numberplate that might suit someone in the club?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/263162942853?ul_noapp=true

Cheers. Bruce.