Front fork oil seals

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
altette

Front fork oil seals

Post by altette »

I have searched extensively on the forum to see if I can find any discussion about front fork oil seals but have so far not found anything specific to my questions....

I recently posted a question about front mudguard mounting and have received a number of very helpful replies - while dealing with this problem however I have found another task that I need to attend to and I wonder if I can tap into your collective wisdom once again....

I have discovered some oil weepage (only a little but it had attracted some dirt and was noticeable visually) at the bottom of the chromed slider extension - only on one side but it suggests that the fork oil seal is in need of replacement and if this proves so, of course I will replace on both sides.

I have researched all of the information that I think I will need (I have the Ken DeGroome article etc.) to complete this unexpected task but have become a little bit confused about the oil seal specifications - my bike is a 1955 Matchless G3L and seems to be in very original condition, however, until I start to dismantle I am of course not sure what stanchion size I will encounter (although I think it is very likely to be 1 1/4 inch) - if it is the original 1 1/4 inch size for this year, I notice that a 'Double Lipped' seal was specified for 1955, that must surely be a good option but why only for that year ? - I would imagine the fork legs were fairly similar for subsequent years ?

Also the depth of the various oil seals seems to vary. Of course it is necessary for the chromed extension to bear down on top of the oil seal so are there different extensions or is the depth of the aperture in the fork slider itself different ?

I notice that Ken DeGroome suggests applying some 'Jointing compound' to the threads of the chromed extensions to 'Prevent oil leaks' - surely if there are leaks this means the seals are in need of replacement ? is he encouraging cheating ?!! - Mr DeGroome also suggests fitting a 1 1/8 inch seal regardless of stanchion size for extra sure sealing - is this a good idea ?

All the best to you all
Stuoyb

Re: Front fork oil seals

Post by Stuoyb »

Fork legs may be worn but not pitted and therefore not in need of replacement.
Club Spares sell a pair of "double lip" seals that offer improved sealing on both new an "used" fork legs.
They can be found on the club spares website with the suffix "DL" after the part no.
altette

Re: Front fork oil seals

Post by altette »

Thanks for that advice and information - much appreciated