Motorcycle Lift or Ramp?

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
JimFitz

Re: Motorcycle Lift or Ramp?

Post by JimFitz »

I have the Clarke type from Machinemart and also a hydraulic scissor type which is handy for wheel changing and bike cleaning especially with the small seat on castors from Frost.

When I put a bike on the Clarke I usually try to get an axle stand under each footrest for extra safety and I always put ratchet straps each side front and back. I have drilled a few holes along each side of the bed for extra fixings for the straps. The front wheel clamp gets in the way with certain jobs but with the axle stands and straps in place the clamp can be unbolted and removed. The Clarke also has a removable plate to allow rear wheel removal.
When the bike is not on the stand it makes a useful workbench for many other jobs and I have also used mine to lift up my ride on mower for repairs and servicing.

The only downside is the plate which sticks out at the base to hide the lowering pedal and is just the right height to cause great pain to your ankle. I slipped an old mini tyre over the edge of mine to cushion it when the lift is raised.

I recommend the Clarke 100% and would not (could not) be without it.

Jim
Too old to Rock and Roll but too young to die.

1952 G80 rigid, 1960 G12 DL / Watsonian Monza, 1954 G80S.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

One of the Hers section chaps also had a lift that fell over during the night. Holes for all fittings were much larger than bolts, making it very unstable. Improved by re drilling holes and fitting suitable bolts.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

A consideration, should you elect to go for a full sized ramp type, is between the parallelogram and scissors types - the action of the parallelogram types means their footprint effectively get longer as they are lowered whereas the scissors types remain much more constant.

I prefer the footprint to remain constant and went for one of these - can't fault it
Lift.png
Regards Mick
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Group Leader

Post by Group Leader »

Thanks for all the advice chaps!

Food for thought and I think a suitable ramp type is the way I shall go.

Alan
1953 AJS 16MS, 1939 BSA 250 and a 1/3 scale Sopwith Triplane but that's another story ..... :lol:
teebee67

Post by teebee67 »

I have a machine mart type one, wouldn't be without it now.
I'm only old on the outside.
Janet

Post by Janet »

Just another pointless piece of advice. If you work in a small shed with a pitched roof, make sure you position the ramp where there is enough headroom (fairing room?) when it's raised. Some sheds are quite low at the sides.

Edited for speeling mistooks.
Last edited by Janet on Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
thornebt

Post by thornebt »

Janet wrote:Just another pintless piece of advive. If you work inh a small shed with a pitched roof, make sure you position the ramp where there is enough headroom (fairing room?) when it's raised. Some sheds are quite low at the sides.
Also make sure any wooden / boarded floor is solid enough. You don't want the wheels or legs rupturing the floor because it is too weak to stand the weight. It's easy to reinforce the floor where it needs it if you are building a new shed but difficult if your shed is already in place. If one corner breaks through the floor the bike might end up tipping off! Cheers. Bruce.
Group Leader

Post by Group Leader »

Concrete floor garage in my case although I will have to be careful of the "Up and Over" garage door as it opens.

Alan
1953 AJS 16MS, 1939 BSA 250 and a 1/3 scale Sopwith Triplane but that's another story ..... :lol:
ma120990

Post by ma120990 »

Dad use to work with the machinemart types and loved em.. Was a garden machinery mechanic and the benefit of getting a ride on mower up in the air and being able to work on it at sensible height was a godsend. He also used to use it for his suzuki, mind he did have to make sure the bike was stable if he was taken a wheel out just in case it toppled off the stand/blocks.
GeoffR

Post by GeoffR »

Just bought a second hand Clarke CML3 on eBay. Its a big old piece of metal so make sure you have the space. And if you're collecting one, take a strong friend with you 'cus it ain't light! Haven't used it in anger yet but I think it's the perfect choice

Second hand might be an option if you can find and collect one?

Cheers