Motorcycle Lift or Ramp?

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Group Leader

Re: Motorcycle Lift or Ramp?

Post by Group Leader »

Thanks folks that's really interesting.

I'm tending towards the Hosker one I have to admit and I've already got a Halfords trolley jack ....

Is the price inclusive or exclusive of the jack? If it's inclusive, a partial trade of no jack and powder coating would seem to be ideal :)

Alan
1953 AJS 16MS, 1939 BSA 250 and a 1/3 scale Sopwith Triplane but that's another story ..... :lol:
sjr

Post by sjr »

Alan
for questions like this why not call him, 0121 433 5739, mobile 07976 674104
Group Leader

Post by Group Leader »

sjr wrote:for questions like this why not call him, 0121 433 5739, mobile 07976 674104
Sort of obvious really! I might just do that :)
1953 AJS 16MS, 1939 BSA 250 and a 1/3 scale Sopwith Triplane but that's another story ..... :lol:
Bruno

Post by Bruno »

Very helpful discussion on lifts/ramps. SJR, your workshop is one to aspire to!

Cheers, Bruno
BruceB

Post by BruceB »

I bought a Sealey lift last year and its on its second bike rebuild. You can't get the exhausts on usually but it is fairly compact and not particularly expensive.
It also get easily put out of the way when not needed.
The pictures show a big old Yam getting stripped right down the bare frame on it and it going back together afterwards. The only parts I can't fit on the bike without moving it are the silencers and the side stand.
It has also had the matchless on it over the winter while i stripped both wheels to get new tyres and rewired the whole bike.
At no point have I needed to strap the bike/s down, its very stable supporting the frames
Picture 091.JPG
Picture 003a (2).JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
66 BSA Spitfire MK11
77 Yamaha XS750 Triple
98 Suzuki Bandit GSF600S
78 Honda Superdream (rebuilding)
51 Cyclemaster (in queue)
56 G11 bitsa (in boxes awaiting courage)
78 Series Landrover (rebuilding)
72 MG Midget (in queue)
06 Honda XL1000
Group Leader

Post by Group Leader »

So, after some deliberation I plumped for one of Mr Hosker's ramps which he delivered bright and early (shame the weather wasn't!) this morning.

Looks to be very solid and well made with a good lift height. My impression is that it is probably more solidly built than the typical, more commercially available orange jobs although I can't say for certain as, try as I did, I was unable to track one of them down when I was looking in order to see one in the flesh, Anyway, I've done it now and I opted for the narrow version as it has to fight for space with everything else in my single garage.

If anything, the ramp could usefully be 30-50% longer as part of my side stand just catches as the bike goes over from the ramp onto the platfom unless it's bolt upright or even slightly leaning away (although that could be due in part to my own lack of height when pushing the bike on!).

Looks good!

Alan
Lift.JPG
Lift 2.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ray.woolford

Post by ray.woolford »

Looks like you made a good choice, on the subject of lifts why don't they make one with two drop out sections. I built my own and made a drop out section front and back so now I can drop both front and back wheels (not at the same time) without taking the bike off and turning it around it makes things so much easier .
I did ask a vendor (not Mick Hoskar) at Stafford last year did he make a lift with two drop outs his answer was "why" I did explain why I had asked He looked at me and said that's the first time i have been asked that????
mikeydpippin

Post by mikeydpippin »

I,m sure you made the right decision, I,m well happy with mine although it's not a pretty blue like yours.......Enjoy....
Mike
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Should there be levelling feet in the holes on the outriggers?
Group Leader

Post by Group Leader »

Duncan wrote:Should there be levelling feet in the holes on the outriggers?
Yes if it needs levelling. Fortunately my floor is level and flat so it was not necessary to use them in my case.

Alan