1955 G9 tank

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
ducati2242

1955 G9 tank

Post by ducati2242 »

I am almost through my G9 rebuild at powder coating stage I had the tank done black , was rusty chrome / black , now I have it placed on bike I'm thinking that maybe I should chrome it . Question is can I use vinyl for the black around the matchless badge . Or should I leave it as is . Correct seat is on order .
match 3.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dave16mct

Re: 1955 G9 tank

Post by dave16mct »

It would depend on how much money you're prepared to put into it. It's very expensive to chrome a tank, then you've still got to paint and line it. Have a look at the diffent options in the photo section.
Dave
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

I do not recall a black & chrome tank , I thought it was red and chrome. The correct round badge is not easy to find. Note its the type with thin outer ring. It had a rubber seat under it. You say the seat is correct, it 55 had shorter, deep sided seat.
Ashampoo_Snap_2017.09.11_18h13m12s_002_.png
Always wise to join a club your bike is for to seek advise. Could save you money buying wrong bits.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ducati2242

Post by ducati2242 »

I never bought the seat it came in the box of bits the bike was in . first thing i did was join this club and I rarely buy a wrong part .
clive

Post by clive »

Rob he did not say the seat was correct, he said "Correct seat is on order " unless there has been some editing! Personally I think you will either need to chrome the tank, expensive, change the colour of the tank to the same red as the oil tank/tool box, or repaint the oil tank/toolbox black.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
clive

Post by clive »

Guy You are not showing as a member and it means you will not have full access to the website. I suggest you email Eamonn, webmaster@jampot.com to get it sorted out.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
ducati2242

Post by ducati2242 »

clive wrote:Guy You are not showing as a member and it means you will not have full access to the website. I suggest you email Eamonn, webmaster@jampot.com to get it sorted out.
I thought I had a problem with my membership as sometimes I cant see the pictures on some posts . I can order online from the spares scheme and I do have a membership number . I have emailed Eamonn as you said Thanks Guy .
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

I thought I read correct seat is in order, sorry I do need new spec's. I cannot even read the news paper, with new ones I got from spec savers. Wont go there any more, first they said I had bent them, complained again, they said I need to get use to them. Third time they said, well you only have the cheap vari focal lens.
Sorry you did not show up as a member. You will discover a few parts on your 55 bike are 55 only. Rear wheel ( if correct ) had metal studs in metal holes, rubber inserts came in 56. Oil tank and battery carrier are 55 only, fork top bolt had bevelled washer under it to take chrome dome cover 55 only. Many people use hex head bolt for rear fitting on the sent instead of the correct chrome slot head screw. The head the same dia as the eyelet. Wheel rim centres are painted black I believe red if you have red & chrome tank.
ducati2242

Post by ducati2242 »

Eamonn has fixed it for me . seems that i had used a different name when becoming a full member . Computers aren't my best field
altette

Post by altette »

...just a thought - why not try one of the new Indian made tanks, I notice they are available in chrome finish without paint - you could then do your maroon panels and so on....don't know what Indian chrome is like but it might be worth a punt, chroming a tank is probably very expensive, you could get a quote for chroming and weigh it up as an option....