Petrol tank dimensions wanted

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
SPRIDDLER

Re: Petrol tank dimensions wanted

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Dick
This afternoon as promised I've measured the filler neck on a pal's (Forum i.d. g80csp11) unmolested 1946 G80L with a piecrust filler cap.
2017-11-04 Petrol tank filler 1946 005 (640x480).jpg

The filler neck doesn't have a bulge but a pip to stop any one of the cap's three internal tangs from turning and enable the cap to be closed/tightened securely.
2017-11-04 Petrol tank filler 1946 009 (640x480).jpg

Here are the dims for A, B & D. Dims C, E, and F are irrelevant as there is no bulge to measure.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
39speedtwin

Post by 39speedtwin »

Neville, having looked at your posting, i decided to measure my 1952 CS with bayonet cap, this has internal dimension of 1.985”, whereas my 1937 G8 with the expanding cap has internal of 2.285”.
So this indicates that the expanding cap will not fit in a bayonet neck. The tank on the G8 is original as is the cap, but the CS is a new tank with a neck from EBay!
Dixter

Post by Dixter »

Thank you Spriddler. This information is most helpful. I've ordered one of the expanding pie crust caps and hope to get to the modification of my petrol tank soon after receipt.

Your assistance in this project is greatly appreciated.

Ciao,
Dick
Dick Casey
The RideNut
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

You're very welcome Dick. I'll keep the info on file as it will no doubt come in useful for others in future. Let us know how it goes.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'