G80s Tappet spanners

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
capercaillie

G80s Tappet spanners

Post by capercaillie »

Hi
I'm told that I require thin spanners to set the tappet clearances on my 1955 G80s.
In order that I buy the correct sizes does anyone happen to know which sizes I need?
Thanking you in advance,
Chris.
alanengineer

Re: G80s Tappet spanners

Post by alanengineer »

IM told AMC Classic Spares sell just the right thin spanner for the job. I need a pair myself and will be phoning soon.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Terry's made the spanners years ago. You only need one thin spanner to get on the thin bottom nut, to hold to unlock the nut above. The top one should turn with finger tips to make any adjustment. Lock up and check clearance, it may take a couple of attempts.
Ashampoo_Snap_2017.11.07_09h53m26s_001_.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Andy51

Post by Andy51 »

Hi, I have been setting tapper clearances on the H/Wt singles since the 1970's using ordinary spanners. When using them on the thin bottom hex, just hold it so any excess spanner thickness is below the hexagon and the locknut can be turned. Saves tools and, it would seem, minor confusion! Hope this helps, Andy
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

A bit late on this but I have also been using my lovely (bought new) Britool spanners on this for thick end of 35 years.

Johnny B
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

I have managed with STD spanners, but seem to recall getting a STD spanner on the thin nut requires it to be tilted downwards a little, so it could slip. So much easier with a thin spanner on the bottom. You can also be more confident the nuts are locked tight, with both spanners laying horizontal on the nuts. Also less likely to slip unlocking if very tight.
capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

Thanks for your replies.
I'll let you know how I get on.
Cheers,
Chris.
raffles

Post by raffles »

The obvious answer is to grind down a spanner to fit , it is what I have done for several of the jobs on my bikes. If you dont have spare spanners
they are usually readily available s/h at bike shows and autojumbles even on Ebay
Tony
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

I found it easier to set the correct clearance with the piston a TDC, just nip the locknut up and then turn the engine forward until the push rod is lifted far enough to use ordinary spanners to finally tighten the locknut.
I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.